led backlight conversion worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• led backlight conversion worth it?

I have a sharp LQ141X1LH23 lvds lcd pannel that Im using on my car pc. Since it isn't installet yet nor a frame for the lcd. is it worth it to try to upgrade to a led backlight? Ive added a touchpannel to the front of the lcd so probably taken away some of its brightness. but in the house with the ceiling fan light right above the lcd it is still readable. If I find a ccfl to led replacement strip of leds and a led backlight controller board would it be worth switching?

if your looking for something to do, yes. though, i don't think there is any significant performance advantage to doing this..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

No, its not at all worth the price they charge on that website! its ridiculous. Someone at hackaday.com or something was the first person to have that idea and do it.

You're much better off doing it yourself. If you have the skills to replace any LCD backlight (its not extremely easy) you should have the skills to build that yourself. You just need to source bright LEDs and do some basic electronics etc.

Something worth considering is that even if you increase the brightness of a backlight, the screen may not be designed for it. It may turn way too bright, with all the colors washed out, and the blacks pretty much a mid gray.

Dont buy their overpriced products, ultrabrite LEDs are a dime a dozen. If you do it yourself, try using RGB LEDs, I've never seen anyone do that and it could be really awesome.

Be careful with the diffusers, if they end up coming apart on you you'll end up with hair and dust trapped in your LCD forever. If you actually try to take them apart, do it in a dust free environment, and do some research into replacing them with higher quality ones.

Comment

i dissagree on using rgb led's. led's have a rough time lighting already, and the different placements of the red, green and blue, even on the same board, or die can have some very weird effects on the lcd-- even a white led behind a lcd results in a slight color separation.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Well, there are manufactured RGB LED screens as I'm sure you know. I dont know how they do it.

You would need to do some kind of diffuser modification. In cases where CCFL backlights are replaced with LEDs that are not very dense, the diffuser can be somewhat insufficient for point light sources anyway.

Comment

i was just thinking to try to get more brightness out of the lcd. as for doing it yourself, sourcing the leds, making a pcb, all to fit within the confines of a ccfl. i think the 69$ is worth it to buy an existing product. especially since their led's look to be as close together as possible and are smd type. and as for the layers of the diffuser, i won't be messing with them to change the backlight, mine comes out in a strip.

Comment

Since everyone has a right to my opinion, I'm glad to read the above opinions.

Having been the subject of one of my best run-ins yet with a self centered LITOLs (so self-secure that he later deleted his posts!), I couldn't help but think that IMO the exercise was largely pointless - except for something to do, though I do lack the experience (but I have used nail clippers to mow a lawn).

I can imagine specific worthwhile instances for LED conversion, but not in general.

[ FYI - the run in was simply about LED dimming. The respondent no doubt later did understand their stupid mistakes - normally understandable, though when pushing ability thru time of experience it becomes somewhat humorous. TIP: Do not attack or flame, and finish gracefully. ]
              [ PS - thanks to EOTUF for copy! ]

Comment

Working...
              X