No announcement yet.

So..how come my touchscreen just fried?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So..how come my touchscreen just fried?

I'm distraught. I saved up for so long to get the setup I wanted and tested it all in the house and it worked perfectly.

I have an M4 atx w/ a IBM Micro ATX PC and a VM92 9.2 touch screen....

here's what happened...

I spliced the VGA / power wire into the 4 pin molex to pull a clean 12v and ground. Well once I hooked up the 12v from the car battery to the M4 the pc started and after about 3 seconds the monitor popped and had that horrible burnt electronics smell.

Done...screen is all white. No response.

I thought the M4 would max out at 12v and was regulated. I don't get it.

Would a bad ground cause this?

My guess is you had the + and ground accidentally reversed. Did you check everything using a multimeter BEFORE connecting it? Was it connected exactly the same as when you initially tested it in the car?

Don't feel bad. Pretty much everyone here has toasted something expensive and allowed the magic smoke to escape from the electronics. It's a tough lesson, but will make you paranoid about reversing polarity in the future.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I think you might have hit it on the head. The part that really sucks though, is that I can't find a replacement for that model ANYWHERE. The dahs was cut, and the dash mount frame was fit in there SO nicely too. If I could find just one the damages wouldnt hurt nearly as bad...

It was a VM92 but the cloest thing I can find is a VM 90 - 3 mm x 7mm smaller.

Comment

Working...
      X