Do I really need a VGA input?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need a VGA input?

What is the pros and cons of using VGA input on car computing?
    I mean why do we pay those poor quality and expensive china made vga lcd screens while there are good quality and cheap USB or HDMI alternatives like Mimo? Is it just post screen?

USB screens operate at VGA resolutions. You can use them. There are sometimes bandwidth issues with USB monitors, but they will work.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by secured-nor1 View Post
      What is the pros and cons of using VGA input on car computing?
      I mean why do we pay those poor quality and expensive china made vga lcd screens while there are good quality and cheap USB or HDMI alternatives like Mimo? Is it just post screen?
      USB: problemous, there is no picture during POST, BIOS setup, You cant see the message if something goes wrong during bootup. but good as secondary monitor...

HDMI/DVI: is this a question? where did You find it cheaper than VGA models? okay, there are some overpriced model on the market with VGA input, but in normal case, its much cheaper than the digital ones... but the digital input is much better than analog: there is no interference, noise, etc etc. it worth its higher price!
      "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
      Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

Good points about USB. Once you have the system setup properly, you can use it, I suppose.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

I am planning re-building my car computer system again(stolen) so considering about USB screens this time. (I have had 2 broken Sillyputs before)

I am running a cheap Samsung U70 at home over a year without any problem. I am thinking of buying 10" USB Mimo.

A 7" USB mimo touchscreen LCD is 149$.
          A 7" VGA touchscreen LCD starts from 350$ to 700$!!

The price differences is HUGE! So I can't understand why most buying these expensive vga monitors. Post screen is not a must at least for me as I always configure my carcomputer at home and than mount it to my car.

Comment

A 7" USB mimo touchscreen LCD is 149$.
            A 7" VGA touchscreen LCD starts from 350$ to 700$!!

7" touch lilliput with VGA input starts from 150$, with HDMI starts from 190$. i bought my 10.1" HDMI touch lili for 230$+shipping

yes, small monitors are a bit overpriced, because they are used only in carpc and special environments. USB monitors are for consumer purposes > choice is wide, price is less...

USB will be ok in normal case, but You will be very angry by the first time when You met with a problem:
            - missing bios settings, pause on bootup
            - failing HDD detection for the first time in cold environment
            - if You use hibernation, then in case of error, next time the boot is paused automatically and You have to select between retry and dismiss file, but You wont see it
            - etc
            - etc
            - etc

You says "sillyput" - but there is no better at this moment... but its Your choice...
            Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

Originally posted by FPeter View Post

7" touch lilliput with VGA input starts from 150$, with HDMI starts from 190$. i bought my 10.1" HDMI touch lili for 230$+shipping

yes, small monitors are a bit overpriced, because they are used only in carpc and special environments. USB monitors are for consumer purposes > choice is wide, price is less...

USB will be ok in normal case, but You will be very angry by the first time when You met with a problem:
              - missing bios settings, pause on bootup
              - failing HDD detection for the first time in cold environment
              - if You use hibernation, then in case of error, next time the boot is paused automatically and You have to select between retry and dismiss file, but You wont see it
              - etc
              - etc
              - etc

You says "sillyput" - but there is no better at this moment... but its Your choice...
              nicely put...

as some say "plan for the worst, hope for the best"-- a usb screen is expecting a carpc to work all the time without a problem...

if you decide you don't want a lilliput, you can always look at making your own monitor solution using a lvds adapter(there's a thread in this section that about this, something about using laptop screens with vga/dvi)...

though, i really don't think that any of the options are any cheaper then lilliputs...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Also, not sure of the brightness of the Mimo's. Make sure you check that before buying.
                Want to:

Comment

I don't understand how do you call Lilliput as "cheap".
                  Look at the picture above screen Acer 22" LCD Monitor is 160$ USD.
                  7" Lilliput 150$ is cheap!?! This is just an opportunist marketing strategy.

I have seen a Mimo before. It is perfect when compared to Lilliputs. It is day and night.
                  And USB connection isn't a "problem" at all. Just setup bios and type mstsc.exe if you get a problem with the screen.

Comment

I also couldn't understand why people need an HDMI connection on 1024 LCD screen. You don't want to set a high resolution on a small monitor. Moreover most of the atom cpu's(exc ions) are not capable of running 1080p video.

Thanks for the responses.
                    Planning %95 for now.

Comment

I don't understand how do you call Lilliput as "cheap".
                      Look at the picture above screen Acer 22" LCD Monitor is 160$ USD.
                      7" Lilliput 150$ is cheap!?! This is just an opportunist marketing strategy.

I have seen a Mimo before. It is perfect when compared to Lilliputs. It is day and night.
                      And USB connection isn't a "problem" at all. Just setup bios and type mstsc.exe if you get a problem with the screen.
                      not cheap, but You said 350-700$ at first post, then i said that it costs "only" the half/quarter of it... and yes, they are overpriced because they are not consumer stuff like digital picture frames and usb monitors... but there is no better solution in a complete set at this time...

You will never control the PC on bios level from remote console... if remote control works, then windows booted up > there is no fatal problem, USB monitor should work too. but in case of problem on lower level, You have to connect a simple vga/dvi monitor to troubleshoot it. and You will hate Your USB stuff in first / second / n-th time when You have to move Your desktop monitor + extension cable to the car, or dismount and move the carpc to the house...

Comment

I also couldn't understand why people need an HDMI connection on 1024 LCD screen. You don't want to set a high resolution on a small monitor. Moreover most of the atom cpu's(exc ions) are not capable of running 1080p video.

Thanks for the responses.
                        Planning %95 for now.
                        no, HDMI is not for high resolution! HDMI is for fully noise-free and sharp picture in any resolution, mainly the native 800*480, 1024*600 or other! picture of USB based stuff will be perfect too, but problemous in several cases as we mentioned before...

Comment

Why do I move my desktop monitor + extension cable to the car??
                          I will move fit-pc2 to home =)
                          Simple and easy.

I think you are exaggerating problems.

Comment

Why do I move my desktop monitor + extension cable to the car??
                            I will move fit-pc2 to home =)
                            Simple and easy.

IMG

I think you are exaggerating problems.
                            as You wish, but i prefer more the performance, speed of atom is bull*****

note that this mini pc has only HDMI / DVI-D connector, so You have to select an USB or HDMI/DVI based monitor. its Your turn, but its cheaper to buy the good one for the first

Comment

Originally posted by FPeter View Post
                              no, HDMI is not for high resolution! HDMI is for fully noise-free and sharp picture in any resolution, mainly the native 800*480, 1024*600 or other! picture of USB based stuff will be perfect too, but problemous in several cases as we mentioned before...
                              Frankly, IMHO, the problems using any screen in a car environment don't really have much to do with whether you use VGA or HDMI.

Problem number 1: Glare. All the hdmi in the world doesn't do you any good if you can't see the screen. Transreflective would be a better investment than HDMI.

Problem number 2: Power. Good cables and proper grounding will go further to eliminating "noise' than changing from VGA to HDMI. There are lots of things in a car producing interference. HDMI can help with some of it, but not all of it.

See if you can find a way to compare a transreflective VGA screen with a standard HDMI, in sunlight if possible, and see for yourself what really makes a difference.

VegasGuy

Comment

Working...
                              X