Opinions on 10" Monitor Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on 10" Monitor Options

So I've looked at Lilliput. And Xenarc. And NEC. And tablets, CarTFT, netbook/notebook screens, touch panels, Inelmatic, LinITX, Revo-sys, Navpixel, and AvionicsLCD. And I'm probably forgetting some.

My "requirements" have come to be a hassle -- with the dash setup I am using, I'm looking at a 10" 16:9 monitor. Trying 4:3 did not look good, and using a monitor other than ~10" in size in the given location also didn't produce very good results. So, out of all those I listed, I have ended up with the following three...

- 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 500:1, $475 -- http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12428
    - 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 400:1, $465 -- http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/787
    - 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 300:1, $575 -- http://www.revo-sys.com/proddetail.php?prod=102OFTS

I'm by no means an expert on these types of screens, but I've done my homework. I would really appreciate some input from you all about my options here -- including any that I may not have come across.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Lumenii View Post
    and what about 1024x600 ? i love it, there are much more space in centrafuse. here is my modified skin with iGO8 PC (iGO is 800x480 itself, so there are enough space for other stuffs) :

my monitor is a lilliput FA1011 with HDMI input, costs 230$+shipping, it has 250cd/m2 brightness and 500:1 contrast ratio - this brightness is enough for me, i use it on 50% all day...
    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

I have no problem with resolutions higher than 840x480, however the widescreen requirement comes from two factors. The first is that a 4:3 screen simply doesn't look as good in the upper two thirds of my dash. The second reason is that I don't have the vertical space for a 4:3 screen. I have room for a 10" 16:9, but just barely.

Comment

I have no problem with resolutions higher than 840x480, however the widescreen requirement comes from two factors. The first is that a 4:3 screen simply doesn't look as good in the upper two thirds of my dash. The second reason is that I don't have the vertical space for a 4:3 screen. I have room for a 10" 16:9, but just barely.
        neither has real 16:9 ratio, but they are near to it, and the physical dimensions are nearly the same too

Lilli FA1011 has a 10.1" Hannstar HSD100IFW1 panel: 235x146mm, thickness is 5.5mm + 2-3mm touch glass
        Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

So I searched for the FA1011... with the Hannstar panel? Either I couldn't find it, or I found it but I'm not on the same page as you. Any chance you could link me to what you're talking about, specifically?

So, out of the four options I've seen in this thread...

- Lilliput FA1011
          - 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 500:1, $475 -- http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12428
          - 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 400:1, $465 -- http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/787
          - 10.2", 16:9, 800x480, 400cd/m2, 300:1, $575 -- http://www.revo-sys.com/proddetail.php?prod=102OFTS
          How would you guys order them in terms of quality and 'worthiness'? I have money set aside for the different parts of this project, and although I'm all about saving money, price-exclusive recommendations are what I'm after right now.

Once I finally get a monitor, you'll start to see much, much more come from me as far as my frontend, hardware setup, etc. goes.

Thanks!

Comment

So I searched for the FA1011... with the Hannstar panel? Either I couldn't find it, or I found it but I'm not on the same page as you. Any chance you could link me to what you're talking about, specifically?
            here is the manufacturer's page: http://www.lilliput.com.cn/en/products.php?id=120
            and You can find prices on ebay

Comment

I've had the FA1011 in the truck for about 4 months and I really like it...with one glaring exception. It's obviously NOT a transflective screen, so you will get some glare and reflection in bright/direct sunlight situations. It seems to be very well made and the touch control is very good. Picture quality and video playback is very nice too.

As long as you understand what you are getting, I think you will be pleased with this screen.

VegasGuy

Comment

Thanks. And you believe it is worth going with that over the other monitors which have an extra 150cd brightness? Sunlight may be an issue for me.

Edit: Thanks VegasGuy, that's what came to mind when I was looking at it. Do you think the additional brightness of the monitors I linked to would be enough of a benefit to warrant going with one of them? My system is going near the top of a dash, below a triple-size 'panoramic' moonroof. Sunlight will -- at times -- be of concern.

Comment

Thanks. And you believe it is worth going with that over the other monitors which have an extra 150cd brightness? Sunlight may be an issue for me.

Edit: Thanks VegasGuy, that's what came to mind when I was looking at it. Do you think the additional brightness of the monitors I linked to would be enough of a benefit to warrant going with one of them? My system is going near the top of a dash, below a triple-size 'panoramic' moonroof. Sunlight will -- at times -- be of concern.
                  I will say flat out, no reserve...spend the money for the transflective if you have it (I might even say sacrifice some size if you have to), and as a second option (all other specs being equal) get the brightest monitor you can. Living in Vegas, I know a thing or two about sunlight. My monitor is mounted at the top of the dash, although fairly far "in" from the windshield. Nonetheless, with direct sun through the front or side, the screen becomes pretty difficult to read (early morning, late afternoon). Since you're viewing it at an angle, you lose some of the maximum brightness capability and it increases the apparent reflectivity of the glass. Nothing unique to this particular monitor, but the size just makes things more obvious.

In cloudy or low-light conditions, it looks great. Either way, I'm hooked....I'm not going back to anything smaller.

Cheers!

VegasGuy

Comment

Thanks. I think I'm probably going to end up going with one of the 400nit screens I posted originally, but I will definitely consider the FA1011 for a few days before I make the final call.

Hopefully I can get a worklog thread going pretty soon. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X