New and need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and need help

Hello everyone. First and formost it is nice to meet all of you and i am excited to learn new things and start my car pc project. I have been looking for parts and propper location for the lcd screen. so here is my first question:

1. I am looking for a good quality touch screen that is also some what slim because i will be fittinf this to the top of my dash in an existing wood grain piece. I would like a 7" touch screen with vga input and the dimensions that i have available are H = 4.25" length 7.75" depth 3". any suggestions would be great. I also want it to be a display only no keyes or anything.

2. next question i had is i am planning on doing the car pc type that has a stand alone box, can you guys give me some gudence around how to add radio, navigation and also how to hook it up to my factory harness which goes to the factory amp?

3. is there any displays that have just the volume knobs that can control the output volume of the car pc that goes to the speakers?

Thank you very much in advanced and excuse the newbieness in me. but i am very excited.

1. It's a really tight fit for 3". What kind of car are you talking about? What does the dash look like?

2. What kind of car are you talking about? What kind of sound system is in it?

3. This seems to conflict with #1, where you said you only want a clean display, no keys or anything. You can use a Griffin Powermate or other types of controllers to control the volume on a PC. Integrating it into the display would be very difficult, given the space constraints you provide. Is there another place to put it? What kind of car is it? What does the dash look like?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thak you so much for the reply, it is a 2002 mercedes CLK and i have more room as far as depth goes i just checked and i have about 4 inches i was thinking of one of those monitors that are just the monitor and has two brackets on each side that fit in the double din areas. and the use the voom pc boxes to put it in my glove box. as for the colume switch if there is a monitor that has a small knob on the side that could be wiredup to the pc to control the volume it would be great if not i can always do it via touch screen. i would like to run windows 7 if possible so it would be just like a regular pc but also have a skin that i would be able to activate so it would control the normal car options such as music, radio, nav, blue tooth and etc. again i'm very sorry but i'm an absolute newbie.

Comment

start here:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

there are no premade screen options with a volume control built in.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Forget the volume knob at first. It can easily be added later. In the stickies in the display forum are some FAQ's about the most popular screens that include dimensions. Start there and figure out if they will fit your dash.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X