Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xenarc quality is it really THAT much better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc quality is it really THAT much better?

Guys, i'm struggling deciding which screen to get on my current project. I always wanted a Xenarc because of the quality and support in North America. But the Mini 700 is 150% Less and is also supported in the US.

They both have similar features, except the Xenarc has Auto Dim, HDMI(which my new mobo supports) vs VGA and the xenarc has a 5 wire touch screen.

Is the screen of the Xenarc really that much better? Will the Xenarc last 2.5 times longer?

Cost is 139 for the Mini 700, Xenarc 700TSH is 350.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Originally posted by -zip- View Post
    But the Mini 700 is 150% Less and is also supported in the US.
    If it's 150% less, I'd go with the Mini 700. They're actually paying you to buy it!

It's okay, I get what you're saying - that's a pretty big price differential. You're sure that brightness and contrast are the same? So the only discernable difference between the two screens is the auto dim and the hdmi and 5 wire touch?

If so, that seems like an awfully big price difference. I'd be pretty tempted to buy the Mini 700. But with that said, I can say that I've only owned two screens ever - an Earth LCD that lasted 6 months (my fault) and a Xenarc 8" that has lasted since about 2006. Still works and spent several years in the car.

I recently rebuilt my setup and put the Xenarc back in the original case. You can't tell it was ever out and it still works great. YMMV, but if the Mini 700 turns out to be a piece of junk, you'll have to decide whether to buy a replacement, and the price differential becomes a premium for an experiment in low cost electronics.

Tough call. I think I still might go with the Mini 700 and take a close look at it when you pull it out of the box, then return it if it looks pretty cheesy.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I swear theres a post with this exact same title from a year ago but i digress. You're not going to find a quality difference between the Mini Touch and the Xenarc. Both are high quality units and if you could do a hands on compare between the two you'd find the same "heft". Both you can tell right away are made with durability in mind
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

go with the mini 700.

hdmi is really over-rated imo. 1/2 of it's major advantage over other cable formats-- digital audio--will never be used in-car(as far as i know, there are no 12v amps that support hdmi audio)..

and when your only running video to the screen-- a tiny 7" screen at that, vga will be fine. there will be zero discernible difference in picture quality..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

700 it is , thanks guys
          2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
          Sound Stage
          Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

I got a Xenarc 700TSV and I don't rate it at all. Paid almost $500.00 two years ago. It does not even save your brightness settings when you cut the power to it (so it starts always at 45% brightness which is simply not enough). The 5 wire resistive is pretty decent, but not on the edges (say, the little x to close the windows) even after calibration.

I would go with the Mini 700 and get a capacitive touch for it ($50, do a search here), maybe multitouch ($150?) with the money saved avoiding the Xenarc. Just my opinion.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Well after researching my video connection on my new mobo, turns out the DVI connection is a DVI-D (Digital Only), which means I can not plug this thing into an analog signal (VGA) without a converter. Both combined, the the coverter and the Mini Touch = cost as the Xenarc.

Wonder if they are going to make a HDMI version of the Mini? Purchased the Xenarc TSH 700 from Mp3Car.
              Sound Stage
              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by -zip- View Post
                Well after researching my video connection on my new mobo, turns out the DVI connection is a DVI-D (Digital Only), which means I can not plug this thing into an analog signal (VGA) without a converter. Both combined, the the coverter and the Mini Touch = cost as the Xenarc.

Wonder if they are going to make a HDMI version of the Mini? Purchased the Xenarc TSH 700 from Mp3Car.
                Thank you for choosing our screen for your project. We currently offer a 24 month warranty on all our monitors thus you have that added year of protection. We are available Monday through Friday for tech support as well so if you ever encounter any issues, feel free to contact us and speak to a technician here at 949-380-8898.

Comment

Working...
                X