X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with choosing LCD!

Hey all!

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to help me out... again

Im looking to purchase a Touchscreen monitor for my E46 - im looking at adding the double din fascia and having a screen moulded in. I saw two screens which ive seen alot of people using - the Lilliput 619GL and the 629GL - Both touchscreen vga screens. (The 619 is LED backlit i believe where the 629 is standard?)

I was wondering... what would you say to these screens? Would you recommend them? If so which one would you use/have used or is there anything better in the market for around the same price!

Is one much better than the other? Im looking to make the purchase this week but desperately need some expert advice

Thanks in advance!
    619GL
    0.00%
    629GL
    0.00%
    Other (Please state)
    100.00%

Im adding links to both screens.

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/virtuem...screen-monitor

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/mo...screen-monitor

Comment

I'm a beginner and I haven't installed my pc in the car yet, but one suggestion here, I would go with one with the highest brightness which the 669 HB=450.
      http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_669..._p/mon-124.htm

Comment

hey tibimakai, thanks for the reply!

I just had a look at the 669gl and the data from mp3car and a UK supplier varies, mp3car site says 450cd/mē and the UK supplier says 250cd/mē - im sure it cant be lower than the other two... could i be wrong?

If it is 450cd/mē, would i really notice the difference of 150cd/mē? Also... in terms of future proofing, i cant see myself ever using the HDMI on the screen - being a techy... the more components the more power required thus meaning more heat.

Ive noticed the 619 comes with Auto power on function and the others dont. I havent really seen any others that allow for this.

Am i over looking into things?

Comment

the two 669-s are not the same, HB means high brightness. not sure how much it's the difference, but it doesn't hurt to have as good monitor as you can get.
          I have purchased the 669HB over the holidays from mp3car, since it was discounted and it has auto power and auto-switch for backup camera.
          I don't use HDMI now, but I may and up using it in the future. I'm building an indash pc and room is at a premium there. the HDMI connector takes up less space then a VGA connector.
          I may end up getting a better mobo sooner or later and then I would switch to one with HDMI output.

Comment

you want a higher brightness monitor.

for a decent idea of what a 629 looks like in-car, check my thread:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...-problems.html

both screens you linked to are 300nit,led-backlit panels, and should be ok in the car, though the 669 HB that tibimakai linked to is a 450nit panel, so it would be much better in sunlight.

the nice thing about the 669 is that it has 3 input formats, so while it is a little more flexible, i should also warn you that the hdmi input doesn't seem to scale very well-- you need to set it to the dvi input to get the screen to scale correctly, so technically, the screen has 2 usable inputs...
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

I like the look of that 629, you did a good job there!

Thanks for the heads up on the 669 - If im honest, all ill ever use is, is the vga input - i just think the screen is too small for a hdmi output but thats just me lol

do you know if the 619 would mould into the following fascia well? im assuming it would have to be remove from the case?

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...y-p-24445.html

Comment

HDMI it's for easier connection and saving space, not for quality. my mobo can't even handle HD.
                I chose a monitor for brightness and not for HDMI output.
                I don't have experience with BMW, but I have seen other have done it on this forum, you should look into it what others have done.
                on my VW I need a fascia from Metra, Scosche, or AI and a monitor bracket. like this:
                http://www.mo-co-so.com/Double-DIN-F...cs-byb-blk.htm

Comment

Did you not have to take the screen out of the case or did you fit the case in to the frame?

Comment

you will need the bezel to make the screen work with that dash kit.

with the bybyte dd case(the one tibimakai linked too) you do need to take the monitor apart to put it in that case. in the process, you will void the factory warranty as well.

i believe that mp3car, and mo-co-so offer a service to install the screen into the bezel--for something like $65US, but they will warranty the work..

just remember-- once you install it in the bybyte bezel, the screen will look the same as any other model, because the original case is not used..

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Ahh, thanks for that soundman. Do you know if mp3car and mocoso deliver to the UK? or if there is an company in the UK that provides the same service? I would rather it be installed into a bezel/fascia properly rather than me taking things apart and ruining things with fillers/bondo

Comment

http://www.mo-co-so.com/Double-Din-L...dvi-rci-dd.htm

Ive found this on the MCS site. Is this what i should be looking for? And what this fit directly into the Double Din Fascia i posted earlier?

EDIT:

Woah - 140$ for delivery! :| That pushes the price up to nearly 400$

Comment

^ lol, i was just gonna tell you that while they do ship to the UK, it is almost cheaper for you to fly here and pick it up in person..

i really don't know if anyone across the pond offers a similar service.

the one you linked to is the older version of the bezel-- bybyte did update it to one that i think is more attractive..(but you know what they say about opinions...)

when i bought my old 629, i had ordered everything separate and put it together myself-- it really isn't hard at all, it was primarily the fact that i had to void the warranty on a $200US piece of equipment..

link to bybytes site:
                          http://bybyte.com/

and here is their step-by-step instruction guide to putting the screen in the case:
                          http://bybyte.com/ABS-install.htm

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Do MCS sell it? I think the only difference is the USB at the front right?

Ive had a look and found a UK supplier who sells the same thing... its MUCH more expensive and without the warranty lol ive emailed MCS to see how long ti would take for delivery - im actually considering it...

Would it fit straight into that double din fascia, do u know? thanks

Comment

it is very, very close to the double din standard.. it is only about 2 mm narrower, and 2mm taller..

check my thread for a better example(there is actually both screen bezels there)-- my opening was exactly double din-- 4" x 7"..

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X