How Big is Too Big?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big is Too Big?

Well, in brainstorming ideas for my carpc and deciding what screen to use I recalled I had a whole slew (10+) of Fujitsu B2620 Lifebooks (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/fuji...-30426173.html) that I am doing absolutely nothing with. So, if anyone would have use for them let me know...

So I broke one down to get to the screen and touch panel, took some pictures of factory dash and bezel and then a few pictures of display over the factory dash panel.

I don't really have a problem with the size and can skim it down a tad bit more with some modification but I basically lose all room for center vents. The driver then only has one dedicated vent from the driver door passenger still has two... The dash is curved toward the driver like a cockpit so makes usability that much better.

Opinions.. too big? ... suggestions?

Thats pretty big, Its going to be pretty prominant on the dash

Ill be interested to see how it looks integrated

What conectors does it have?
    What the power draw be on that??
    Corolla WorkLog

Comment

Yeah that's what I was asking... too big? It's just what I have on hand and thought I'd try before buying another screen.

Comment

I like it. I don't think it's too big. I have a 12.1 tablet in my truck, it is wonderfully big. Only I have not integrated in the dash, so I'm trying something else.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
          I like it. I don't think it's too big. I have a 12.1 tablet in my truck, it is wonderfully big. Only I have not integrated in the dash, so I'm trying something else.
          That is the same Boe Hydis panel in my 1400nit LED high bright displays that we discussed in a different thread. XGA 10.4", awesome LCD!

Comment

Nah, that's not too big.
            The 15" TS in my Chevette... that may be too big

Comment

^it looks like you lost 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                It's cozy (cramped) in there but everything clears

Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuAxpqfKAA

Sorry sall for threadjacking.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  lol.

just my .02. I may be in the minority but i happen to like 7" screens. i am not a huge fan of a big flat panel on a curved dash. Personally I'd rather see someone use two 7's instead of a 12. so yeah, i think it's too big from a design/asthetics aspect
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                  Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                  Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I ordered a couple ABS sheets to fabricate a a new trim bezel. Also trimmed some of the mounting tabs to get a more accurate depiction and see if i could manage to get some space to keep some small vents in the bezel.

There is about a 1.75" area to fabricate a vent into the bezel.

Now, the question is how can I use this display with a different laptop? Or am I am stuck using the Fujitsu it came from. Is it a matter of matching up pin outs and transferring connector from one to the other?

This is all new to me but I like to think I learn quickly! Thanks for the input thus far!

Comment

Originally posted by IronDuke84CS View Post
                      Nah, that's not too big.
                      The 15" TS in my Chevette... that may be too big

Wow, a Chevette that's still on the road!

There was I guy in my neighborhood that back in the mid 80's put a v6 in one. Damn, that thing was fast.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDuke84CS View Post
                        It's cozy (cramped) in there but everything clears

Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuAxpqfKAA

Sorry sall for threadjacking.
                        Your video made me want to punch my screen. You can't seek ahead and you panned around the car (not the CarPC) like a senior citizen with a walker.

Comment

I have a 10.4 and would not want smaller. That said, I also have a lot more space in my dash.

It may just be the angle of the picture, but will you be able to see and reach the screen, or will the shifter be in the way?

Comment

Originally posted by txspazz View Post
                            I have a 10.4 and would not want smaller. That said, I also have a lot more space in my dash.

It may just be the angle of the picture, but will you be able to see and reach the screen, or will the shifter be in the way?

There is plenty of room. In Park I can extend my index finger and just reach the screen. With the shifter in any other position there is lots of room.

Screen is definitely completely visible and in the Aurora the dash actually angles toward the driver. Not so good passengers, perfect for me.

Now, the question is how can I use this display with a different laptop? Or am I am stuck using the Fujitsu it came from. Is it a matter of matching up pin outs and transferring connector from one to the other?

Comment

Working...
                            X