Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitive options for 8.4" Widescreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Capacitive options for 8.4" Widescreen?

    I've got a Dynamix 816 with the resistive touchpanel that just went out. I am wondering what options there are for capacitive overlays for this size.

    I've seen the 7" stuff, but what is out there for something this size?

    I have searched, but came up with dead links and out of stock products. Thanks in advance for the help!
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  • #2
    What is the length and width of the LCD panel in your monitor?

    Comment


    • #3
      I will have to go back and measure it for sure, but when I first got it, I wrote down 178mm x 108mm "viewable area" ...Which I think is the inside of the bezel. Outside of the bezel is 194mm x 130mm.
      2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
      Car PC Progress:
      Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
      Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
      Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
      RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
      View my
      Worklog
      Road Runner Skins
      Website
      Favorite thread EVER!

      Comment


      • #4
        I am starting to consider getting the samsung panel in RipplingHurst's thread and getting the 7" capacitive overlay, a cheap 7" bezel, and just re-doing my dash piece. It's just hard when it looks this good:



        I'd much rather just get the 8" capacitive overlay for this. (Or at the very least just get a replacement resistive panel from Dynamix.

        edit:
        Just saw the 8.9" overlay, but it's dimensions are wider by 21mm and taller by 9mm than the screen I have. I think these were made for the ASUS 9" minis... How hard would it be to get a LCD screen from the ASUS (or any other 8.9" miniPC) with the overlay designed for them (using the miniPC bezel to mount in the car)? I guess the hardest part is getting a VGA connector for the LCD...
        They are higher resolution (1024x600) and LED backlit instead of the CCFL of the Dynamix...

        Also, doing the math, the screen I have is actually 8.19" diagonal measurement, and the 8.9 PCT overlay is 9.0", but different aspect ratios. I am curious where they get 8.4" for my screen?
        Last edited by monkeyracer; 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM.
        2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
        Car PC Progress:
        Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
        Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
        Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
        RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
        View my
        Worklog
        Road Runner Skins
        Website
        Favorite thread EVER!

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you have enough room to fit a panel that measures 213.4 x 129.5mm?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
            Do you have enough room to fit a panel that measures 213.4 x 129.5mm?
            The current screen housing outside dimensions is 194mm x 130mm, and there is room on the sides for the extra 20mm, so I think so. Do you know of a better solution for this than to get an LCD from a miniPC?




            Looking on ebay I found this:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SAMSUNG-LTN0...item2a05b606f7

            Bezels go for about $15 or so shipped, and I can fabricate a frame for the screen to secure to... but the hard thing would be the "40-pin" data connector... I'm using a laptop with a broken screen (which probably uses a 40-pin connector) is there a way to use that?

            Also found this:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-910-WS...item2c5bb78d7a

            Which has the entire front and back assembly for me to hack up.

            Although, again, it would be much, much easier to get what I have working with PCT...
            2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
            Car PC Progress:
            Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
            Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
            Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
            RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
            View my
            Worklog
            Road Runner Skins
            Website
            Favorite thread EVER!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
              The current screen housing outside dimensions is 194mm x 130mm, and there is room on the sides for the extra 20mm, so I think so. Do you know of a better solution for this than to get an LCD from a miniPC?


              Looking on ebay I found this:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SAMSUNG-LTN0...item2a05b606f7

              Bezels go for about $15 or so shipped, and I can fabricate a frame for the screen to secure to... but the hard thing would be the "40-pin" data connector... I'm using a laptop with a broken screen (which probably uses a 40-pin connector) is there a way to use that?

              Also found this:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Mini-910-WS...item2c5bb78d7a

              Which has the entire front and back assembly for me to hack up.

              Although, again, it would be much, much easier to get what I have working with PCT...

              If you buy the LCD panel (like the one in the first link you posted) you can use this:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180654166378&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESELX:IT

              and this:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

              But, keep in mind the controller is cheap, and I can't get it to accept the native 1024x600 input resolution.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                If you buy the LCD panel (like the one in the first link you posted) you can use this:

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180654166378&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESELX:IT

                and this:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

                But, keep in mind the controller is cheap, and I can't get it to accept the native 1024x600 input resolution.
                So, about $50 for the Screen, $90 for the PCT overlay/usb controller, and $50 for the display controller... About $190 for an 8.9" Capacitive screen... Hmm... that's not too bad.
                Would it be likely that I can just use the laptop's existing built in LCD controller/inverter and just get the screen and the touch panel? (if it were a matter of just extending the LCD control cable?)


                What is it about the controller that you can't get the native res working? Is this just a limitation of your graphics processor or the actual controller will just not do the native res? (even if you have the option for it in your graphics processor)
                I'd really perfer to get it in the native res, I don't like stretching pixels.

                The WSVGA pixel ratio is about 16:9 but at either 1024x768 or 800x600 the ratio would be 4:3.

                Is there anything else around this size that is an all-in-one package?
                2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                Car PC Progress:
                Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                View my
                Worklog
                Road Runner Skins
                Website
                Favorite thread EVER!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
                  So, about $50 for the Screen, $90 for the PCT overlay/usb controller, and $50 for the display controller... About $190 for an 8.9" Capacitive screen... Hmm... that's not too bad.
                  Would it be likely that I can just use the laptop's existing built in LCD controller/inverter and just get the screen and the touch panel? (if it were a matter of just extending the LCD control cable?)
                  You could, if you are using the laptop as your car PC.


                  Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
                  What is it about the controller that you can't get the native res working? Is this just a limitation of your graphics processor or the actual controller will just not do the native res? (even if you have the option for it in your graphics processor)
                  I'd really perfer to get it in the native res, I don't like stretching pixels.
                  Can't say if it is my bench PC or not, but most likely it is due to the cheap controller.


                  Originally posted by monkeyracer View Post
                  The WSVGA pixel ratio is about 16:9 but at either 1024x768 or 800x600 the ratio would be 4:3.

                  Is there anything else around this size that is an all-in-one package?
                  Not sure, but I would bet there is an off the shelf 8.9" display out there ready for the PCT add on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    (OT: what a nice install you got there btw!).
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                    07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                      You could, if you are using the laptop as your car PC.
                      Ya, that's the plan, and the screen on it now is broken, so I've already removed the top half of the laptop. I'd be losing the OSD menu with brightness/contrast/etc options, but would have those options through the laptop (just like I do with the existing built in screen) right?

                      So, I will have to take a look at the laptop again to check out the cable and connector to see what it would take to extend it. *wonders if the laptop mobo will fit behind the bezel...*

                      Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                      Can't say if it is my bench PC or not, but most likely it is due to the cheap controller.
                      I was able to get 1024x600 on my (non-carPC) laptop through the Intel Graphics Properties for the built in 15". I will have to check the Car Laptop to see if I can get the custom res in there. I know on my previous set-up I had to create a custom driver for the processor to do it, and it ended up working. If that's the route I go with, I am going to have to revamp my hAv1c V4 Ride Runner skin to the new resolution.

                      Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                      Not sure, but I would bet there is an off the shelf 8.9" display out there ready for the PCT add on.
                      hmm... eh, it would probably be a little more expensive anyways, and if I don't have to get the controller, I can do the whole thing for about $160 or so (with a bezel) which is looking a little better...

                      Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                      (OT: what a nice install you got there btw!).
                      Thanks! I was actually listed as one of the top three OEM style fabrications by Heather of mp3car.com back in '08 here

                      The picture on the page that's now a red X is the one I posted above. Really an honor to be listed in the same category as TurboCad! What a lot of people don't realize is that I removed the analog clock, moved the window switches up, and sculpted the top bevel of the bezel... a lot more work than just gluing the bezel in, slapping some bondo and paint down and calling it a day. After 3 years, it still looks just as good (no cracks or anything since I didn't use any glue/epoxy and the bondo was just to fill pinholes in the ABS cement.)

                      Right now the whole system is out of the car, and has been for about a year now, ever since the screen inverter and touch screen went out, followed by the internal power supply on the old laptop. Now I've got a (newer, but not new) laptop and looking to get the screen back up and running.

                      It's tough cutting into this bezel to put something else in, but I want capacitive, and I want nothing smaller than what is in there now. It would have been nice to get the same size capacitive screen, but this is a niche hobby, and the only reason there is a touch option for 8.9 is all the MiniPC's and such that use that size. If I do this, I might use the current 8.4" as a 2nd (non-touch) monitor somewhere (maybe passenger visor, overhead console, who knows)

                      Thanks for the help tft_lcd_org! I will update this thread after I order the supplies and/or figure out if I can use the existing laptop screen cable...
                      2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                      Car PC Progress:
                      Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                      Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                      Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                      RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                      View my
                      Worklog
                      Road Runner Skins
                      Website
                      Favorite thread EVER!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Would it be likely that I can just use the laptop's existing built in LCD controller/inverter and just get the screen and the touch panel? (if it were a matter of just extending the LCD control cable?)
                        I don't know how to do when i meet the problem, i think i can try as you said.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Capacitive Touch

                          If you have an 8.4" LCD and are looking for a capacitive touch screen look for either a Dawar p/n:SCP1_8.5-00001 A or a 3M p/n :17-8921-203. We use both here at work and are nice panels.

                          I just reread this post and I don't think that the above listed panels will work as they aren't widescreen.
                          Last edited by whteglve; 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM.
                          Win7, 8GB, i7. 9-1-12 Riderunner. Plugins - RRTMS, DFXVoice, RRFuelPrices, WifiMan. Skin - Reborn.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X