Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to upgrade brightness on LCD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to upgrade brightness on LCD?

I understand that you can do this - upgrade the brightness with some different cold cathode tubes or something -- spy supply says it can be done but they charge out the a** for it - http://www.spysupply007.com/LCD_Scre...trabright.html

What do you all think? I read somewhere it's easy to do for under like $50 but how and what parts would one need??

I'm not too worried about the nit rating of the LCD I'm getting but I want to explore my options and for $50 you can't go wrong..

Thanks,
    Kevin

I've seen the ultra bright upgraded Xenarc screen at CES earlier this year. Jason demonstrated that it washes out the colors. To componsate for the ultra bright, the LCD itself also has to modified somehow to increase the contrast. You can send the monitor to Xenarc and they'll do it for 150.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

damn $150 isn't much cheaper than spysupply.. there's gotta be a way to do this yourself..

Comment

it's 45 bucks cheaper. spy supply is the middle man. you send it to them they charge you 195, they send it to xenarc, pay 150 and make 45 bucks off you for slapping on an address label on the box and send it to xenarc. You can try the alumimum foil trick. I heard it works.
        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

how does the aluminum foil trick works? I've seen the back of the screen and between the lcd lights and control board, there already seem to be a foil sheet there. When I had it on. only certain slot leaked some light. but even with aluminum foil there it wouldn't help it THAT much.

Comment

yeah how does it work? how does aluminum foil make it brighter? Just put it behind and it reflects more light?? Any harm in doing that?

Comment

Funny how even though aluminum doesn't conduct it would just "feel" wrong wrapping electronic hardware in it ... but if it works.

Comment

Aluminum doesn't cunduct? Are you sure?

Comment

I guess hes not aluminum will conduct. It can fry the **** out of your screen if you do not do it with caution. What you can do is buy a more powerfull inverter. Thats how I upgraded my screen.
                  What im curently listening to.
                  My complete carpc setup

Comment

How do you know what inverter (or CCFL tubes for that matter) to buy to make it brighter?

Comment

anyone have more input on this?

Comment

Just spend $150 and get it done right with warranty.. Cuz holding lcd in one had and foil in aother hand .. That to me dont seem like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose
                          Funny how even though aluminum doesn't conduct it would just "feel" wrong wrapping electronic hardware in it ... but if it works.

Ok I'll give you two pieces of aluminum, hook one to each nipple, I'll plug the other ends into my backlight inverter....
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

First things first - hot or cold - aluminum conducts!
                            put one sheet in the oven, one sceet in the freezer, shove them both into the electrical outlet, and twist.

(you can actually do it with a gum wrapper - makes a cool poping spark )

2. Any cheap mod is most likely going to boost the inverter voltage to brighten the tubes, - this is going to burn out the tubes faster.
                            Gizmo-
                            Techonlogy on Wheels
                            http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Check this out:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&page=1&pp=15

and this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...7&page=1&pp=15

Comment

Working...
                              X