Raw monitors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw monitors?

I was thinking about these touchscreen raw monitors for a carputer i want to start building but i havent really seen anyone use it i was wondering if someone can tell me the pros and cons of them. Heres what i was looking at http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/lcdm102w.aspx

1 - Don't crosspost.

2 - That monitor has only composite video input. That will require special consideration to get video form the PC to the monitor. In addition, the image quality is likely to be sub-par.

3 - The brightness is only 300NIT. That will make this model difficult to read in direct sunlight.

4 - It isn't a touchscreen. You never mentioned whether you want/need that functionality. It is the preferred method of PC control in the vehicle.

A raw monitor isn't a bad idea. However, knowing what you're purchasing and how to adapt it to a PC install in your ride is more important.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Sorry about the crosspost i wasnt sure it went through the 1st time. Now with that monitor it has a option for touchscreen and a vga output,but your saying its not bright enough to read in sunlight how much should it be?

Comment

at least 400 nit's.

but there are other things that affect sunlight readability as well-- touch screen overlays, other treatments can also affect how easy it is to read...

there is a sticky at the top of this lcd section that goes into more detail on screen treatments..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Well thanks for the help cause i want to get the monitor 1st. By the way i was doing some looking around and i found a 11.2" touchscreen wit 500nit and its cheaper than the 1 i posted above so maybe i'll give it a try and see what happens. I also have dark tint and dark interior does that help to my advantage?

Comment

somewhat. but i am sure you do open your windows occasionally-- during those times, the quality of the screen can make a difference.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Thats true but a transflective screen is just way too rich for me. I know sometimes you gotta pay to play but jeez i'll buy a 60" led hdtv 1080p for the same price lol you know

Comment

i would love a 60" screen for $600....

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  I'm guessing you didn't mean to be taken literally but ......

50" for 399.95 ($638.60)
                  http://www.richersounds.com/product/...350/lg-50pj350

Comment

that's not 60" for $600! it also doesn't help that i'm in the US, so shipping a oversize item like that would also be killer..

i'll give it a couple years more for the price to drop a little more...

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-KDL60NX810-...item33694c0ad2

399 and free shipping

Comment

Hey soundman i was looking at a 10.2" roof flip down touchscreen monitor and it has 450nit and im searching this forum to see if anyone has used a roof flip down for their dash monitor but couldnt get any good results. So im asking you is it hard to do for a beginner like myself?

Comment

Come on i know someone has at least done this once

Comment

that moderation que really messes with posts... i missed your response..

i don't remember running across anyone that has done it, though i imagine it would be a fair amount of work-- many times, i believe the filp-down screens keep all the 'guts' in the portion that gets bolted to the roof, so relocating those guts may add more complexity..

i am not going to say it is impossible, but it would def. be a project that might need some skills past the 'beginner' level.

i know you are mostly looking at 10" screens, but have you looked at any of the newer 18-19" thin led screens? some of them are powered by 19v-- so a carnetix power supply would work..

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Whoa 18" is way too big to put in my dash im only doing a minor basic install nothing to the extent of show car stuff. I did however find a 12" for $260 so maybe after i buy a couple more things for my car i'll purchase it, I just hope its bright enough

Comment

Working...
                              X