Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see how a $600 transflective LCD stacks up against a $200 BlackBerry PlayBook..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see how a $600 transflective LCD stacks up against a $200 BlackBerry PlayBook..

The sun was casting a bright spot on my floor this morning near where I had my Car PC set up for testing and I thought it would be a good moment to take a couple of comparison photos:

I just know this screen will be useless in my car.

My Mini-Touch with just a capacitive multi touch panel upgrade looks better than that in direct sunlight. Did you buy this screen off ebay or second hand? Also is it just really dirty or is there something wrong with the optical bonding between the LCD and touch panel?
    1997 Acura CL (Capacitive Touch, GPS, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera)

Comment

It was bought from a vendor on this site. It is the transflective, optically bonded super duper screen that everyone raves on about.

The screen is dirty from some fingerprints and a bit of dust.

Comment

This is a 7" screen (also bought from a vendor on this site.) This is a 1000nit screen in direct sunlight, mid-day in Las Vegas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	driver-view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2283947
        More or less what I see as the driver. Sun is at the 11 o'clock position relative to the screen, and slightly in front (toward the camera).

Name:	direct_overhead.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2283948
        Straight on. You can see how much glare there is off the dash surround.

Name:	angle.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2283949
        At an angle. The sun is in the 9-10 o'clock position and slightly behind (further from the camera).

Best screens I've ever had in my vehicle. (This is a temporary mounting for test purposes on a project I'm doing). I plan on ordering the same screen mounted in a 2Din fram for the final install.

VegasGuy

Comment

That looks about like mine as well. I'm frankly not impressed with my new transflective optically bonded screen. It is still hard to see but my iPhone can easily be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
            This is a 7" screen (also bought from a vendor on this site.) This is a 1000nit screen in direct sunlight, mid-day in Las Vegas.

More or less what I see as the driver. Sun is at the 11 o'clock position relative to the screen, and slightly in front (toward the camera).

Straight on. You can see how much glare there is off the dash surround.

At an angle. The sun is in the 9-10 o'clock position and slightly behind (further from the camera).

Best screens I've ever had in my vehicle. (This is a temporary mounting for test purposes on a project I'm doing). I plan on ordering the same screen mounted in a 2Din fram for the final install.

VegasGuy
            Looks Fantastic!!

Comment

A long long time ago I spent $600 importing a crappy Xenarc into Canada.

A couple of years ago I bought the optically bonded transflective screen from.. oh who am I kidding - MoCoSo.

If I can't get a screen that will work well in my car there's no use in having the Car PC. I have a wagon with an over sized sunroof - there's a lot of light that comes into the car.

Any time I see anything now I'm skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                Looks Fantastic!!
                I'm guessing you're the vendor of those?

Any chance of something that bright in a 7" version with capacitive touch?

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry View Post
                  I'm guessing you're the vendor of those?

Any chance of something that bright in a 7" version with capacitive touch?
                  Absolutely. Email or PM me.

Comment

That screen looks fantastic! I just wish they weren't so expensive. I don't think the screen I have is anywhere near 1000nit lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hdale85 View Post
                      That screen looks fantastic! I just wish they weren't so expensive. I don't think the screen I have is anywhere near 1000nit lol.
                      Not as expensive as you think.

Comment

Absolutely. Email or PM me.
                        hey, while your here, is it normal to have the sun completely wash out the my transflective/capacitive screen(most noticable when driving away from the sun with the top down)?
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

Not as expensive as you think.

600 is expemsive to me lol

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                            hey, while your here, is it normal to have the sun completely wash out the my transflective/capacitive screen(most noticable when driving away from the sun with the top down)?
                            Depends. The Capacitive screen does add glare, but with the transflective enhancement, your screen should still be viewable. Of course, top down sun at your back is about as saturated as the screen can get.

What monitor do you have again?

Comment

Originally posted by Hdale85 View Post
                              600 is expemsive to me lol
                              Well the new 1000 nit display is starting at a bit over 300

Comment

Working...
                              X