Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best motorized in-dash touchscreen?

Hello

I was looking at motorized in-dash touchscreens and I fell in love with the MDT-X7000 but there are some bad reviews and also it is currently discontinued from what I see.

I like this model because if I dont have a PC, I can still use it as a regular headunit.

But ignoring that, what is currently the best motorized in-dash touchscreen out there? I think it is great for security reasons and the motor just make it so easy, that when you leave and turn off your car, it automatically gets stored. And when you come back in and turn it on, it automatically pops out. So easy and natural....

Thanks!

None of them.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      None of them.
      The best of the worst then :P

Comment

the lilliput's are supposed to have updated from the problematic plastic gears to metal gears-- which was previously the mod to get them to work flawlessly(nabbing metal gears out of r/c car servo's), but i haven't seen any product comments on the new version..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          the lilliput's are supposed to have updated from the problematic plastic gears to metal gears-- which was previously the mod to get them to work flawlessly(nabbing metal gears out of r/c car servo's), but i haven't seen any product comments on the new version..

Are you talking about a unreleased model?

Comment

No, just the most recent models (2009 and forward I believe). The old one was total crap though. I had it in my Saturn ION and eventually it just no long wanted to flip up. Also the screen quality itself was incredibly low. I did also have a non-flip 2007 Lilliput though and the more recent ones are leaps and bounds better, so chances are that the in-dash flip-ups are too.
            "You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller" - Wierd Al

Comment

i think it is still a current model, though i'm really not sure. since about 3-4 years ago, when everyone kept trying these different screens, and they all stunk, there really hasn't been much in the way of improvements, new models, or buyers that are willing to take the chance.. lately, it's been hard just locating a retailer that still sells them..

btw:

lilliput= gear issues
              xenarc= video cable breakage issues(the cable that feeds video to the display).

i would still take the lilliput over the xenarc models because gears can be adapted, modded, or changed, flexible ribbon cables can't always be.
              Last edited by soundman98; 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM.

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                btw:

lilliput= gear issues
                xenarc= video cable breakage issues(the cable that feeds video to the display).

i would still take the lilliput over the xenarc models because gears can be adapted, modded, or changed, flexible ribbon cables can't always be.
                Did I read you in correctly? Are you saying gears can be replaced easier than flexable ribbon video cables?

You must have miswritten I suppose....

Comment

No, he didn't mistype.

Here's the thing. The motorized flip-out screens are a niche market.
                  There is very little incentive from the companies that sell a few hundred of these a year to pour resources into making them better.
                  So they stay the same unreliable, low-grade pieces of garbage they are.
                  How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by riahc3 View Post
                    Did I read you in correctly? Are you saying gears can be replaced easier than flexable ribbon video cables?

You must have miswritten I suppose....
                    no, i didn't miss type.

let me explain.

as i stated, the gears can be replaced with r/c car servo gears, or similar-- small gears are pretty easy to come by, especially in r/c vehicles. from the servo's to the transmissions, there is much that can be gleaned from if needed.

the reason i didn't talk about ribbon cable replacement is because it is not easily replaceable.

nearly all motorized screens on the market use a super-thin, custom flexible circuit board. usually made out of copper coated polyimide film. most of the time, the mfg's do not allow any more space then this film allows for in between the other components. so it's not very easy to replace, and using larger gauge individual wires, or a ribbon of wires is not always a option because of space or range-of-motion constraints. not to mention all the methods they usually use to attach it to the radio chassis-- from epoxy to double sided tape to screws(i always hope for screws, but most of the time, it's epoxy, and i am the only one getting screwed).

because the design custom to each manufacturer, there is little possibility of sourcing one outside of the mfg--assuming they will talk or sell anything to a consumer at all-- you'd probably need to send it to them for repair every time.. the last xenarc threads i remember reading said that sending the unit out for repair was something like a 3-month-per-time ordeal. and nearly every screen that was used had these issues-- the guys that had them in weekend cars had less issues then guys that had them in daily drivers, but all of them had issues.

so the last possibility is to make your own. it's completely possible--i've even got some of the raw materials on my pcb parts shelf. but it comes down to being feasible. is it worth the 20-40+ hours of pcb design, printing, cutting, and installation for something that could fail all over again in a few months? to me, it's not.

edit: for pcb design, this is a nice way to do it:
                    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...nted-Circuits/

i use Press-N-Peel blue with a toner printer for all my designs.

also, the flexible pcb material is still available from my original source as well:
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-pcb...ht_1689wt_1270

it might be worthwhile to you, but the point of all of this is to make you aware of what your getting into, should you decide to go this route. i hate getting surprises that affect the reliability of my projects.
                    Last edited by soundman98; 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM.

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

No, he didn't mistype.

Here's the thing. The motorized flip-out screens are a niche market.
                      There is very little incentive from the companies that sell a few hundred of these a year to pour resources into making them better.
                      So they stay the same unreliable, low-grade pieces of garbage they are.
                      How are they a "niche market"? I dont know about others but I see the most useful part of them is hiding them of onlooking robbers and making it look like a normal in-dash display that can be hidden quickly when tucked in.

I mean, it must be annoying to have a regular display and have to hide it and take it out EVERY SINGLE TIME you get in and out of your car.

no, i didn't miss type.

let me explain.

as i stated, the gears can be replaced with r/c car servo gears, or similar-- small gears are pretty easy to come by, especially in r/c vehicles. from the servo's to the transmissions, there is much that can be gleaned from if needed.

the reason i didn't talk about ribbon cable replacement is because it is not easily replaceable.

nearly all motorized screens on the market use a super-thin, custom flexible circuit board. usually made out of copper coated polyimide film. most of the time, the mfg's do not allow any more space then this film allows for in between the other components. so it's not very easy to replace, and using larger gauge individual wires, or a ribbon of wires is not always a option because of space or range-of-motion constraints. not to mention all the methods they usually use to attach it to the radio chassis-- from epoxy to double sided tape to screws(i always hope for screws, but most of the time, it's epoxy, and i am the only one getting screwed).

because the design custom to each manufacturer, there is little possibility of sourcing one outside of the mfg--assuming they will talk or sell anything to a consumer at all-- you'd probably need to send it to them for repair every time.. the last xenarc threads i remember reading said that sending the unit out for repair was something like a 3-month-per-time ordeal. and nearly every screen that was used had these issues-- the guys that had them in weekend cars had less issues then guys that had them in daily drivers, but all of them had issues.

so the last possibility is to make your own. it's completely possible--i've even got some of the raw materials on my pcb parts shelf. but it comes down to being feasible. is it worth the 20-40+ hours of pcb design, printing, cutting, and installation for something that could fail all over again in a few months? to me, it's not.

edit: for pcb design, this is a nice way to do it:
                      http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...nted-Circuits/

i use Press-N-Peel blue with a toner printer for all my designs.

also, the flexible pcb material is still available from my original source as well:
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-pcb...ht_1689wt_1270

it might be worthwhile to you, but the point of all of this is to make you aware of what your getting into, should you decide to go this route. i hate getting surprises that affect the reliability of my projects.
                      Great post. Thank you.

Whats the model of the Lilliput? If you know (as you mentioned it was 3-4 years back)

Comment

How are they a "niche market"? I dont know about others but I see the most useful part of them is hiding them of onlooking robbers and making it look like a normal in-dash display that can be hidden quickly when tucked in.

I mean, it must be annoying to have a regular display and have to hide it and take it out EVERY SINGLE TIME you get in and out of your car.
                        PCs in cars is a niche market.
                        A touchscreen designed to work with a PC in an automotive environment is part of that niche market.

The majority of touchscreen owners try to get their screen to appear like an OEM installation.
                        Have you looked at any of the results in the SOYP forum or the Fabrication forum?
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

'niche' meaning that there is less then a normal market for them. most standard radio's will sell thousands, to hundreds of thousands of units. if a company can sell a thousand vga-screen-compatible units, that is a good year. there is just no profit in it for the companies to make it worthwhile to invest into either continuing to produce them, or invest into the r&d of creating new versions.

we resort to focus on installing the screens so that they look factory. and bybyte's bezel makes it easier to just bolt into the dash to achieve this(at least in double din form).

and imo, i have never seen a flip out radio that looks factory from any manufacturer. they all look like something that was installed after the car was bought--either because of odd chrome trim the rest of the dash doesn't have, or it will protrude from the dash at least a inch, or the buttons look nothing like anything else in the car.

Whats the model of the Lilliput? If you know (as you mentioned it was 3-4 years back)
                          i really don't remember, it wasn't one that left a impression on me..

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

So most of you leave your touchscreen in plain view?

Did not expect that...

Comment

So most of you leave your touchscreen in plain view?

Did not expect that...
                              You should look through the "Show off your project" section a little more then.
                              "You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller" - Wierd Al

Comment

Working...
                              X