Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA versus NTSC/PAL

Howdy,

I'm gettin' parts together to build out my carPC, but have a question regarding video quality.

I'm think that a small LCD that's capable of VGA input would have a higher quality picture than the same panel using Composite or other video input. Is this the case?

Since I'm still acquiring parts, I can get a video card with S-Vid out (or RCA out) and a panel with only RCA in.

Or, get a cheaper video card and a more fancy display with VGA in.

Is there a concensus on what approach with yield the best results?

The panels I'm thinking about are the TM-701L, either with or without the VGA bit or the xenarc flavored 7" wides

--Thanks!
    HW::300W inverter | 150W ATX PSU | Intel 810EMO MoBo | Cel 466 | 64MB | 2x 12GB notebook HDD's | PS/2 touchpad | 4" LCD TV
    SW:: Linux (RH8.0 currently) | XMMS | MPlayer | ODBII Monitor via WINE |
    State of Affairs:: Just assembling parts and testing software

all depends on what you want to run. composite in will have blurry text if the text is small. Hook your computer up to your tv, you will see. I just got a vga screen and love it. If you're willing to put money into this.. go vga
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply,

Most interaction (I think) will be through xmms or winamp - so text resolution in picking songs/albums is critical.

Guess I better go VGA.
      HW::300W inverter | 150W ATX PSU | Intel 810EMO MoBo | Cel 466 | 64MB | 2x 12GB notebook HDD's | PS/2 touchpad | 4" LCD TV
      SW:: Linux (RH8.0 currently) | XMMS | MPlayer | ODBII Monitor via WINE |
      State of Affairs:: Just assembling parts and testing software

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDoliver
        Guess I better go VGA.
        chu-godit
        What im curently listening to.
        My complete carpc setup

Comment

when i ran winamp on a composite in lcd.. i just ran it in double size mode (ctrl+d) then increased the playlist font.. but then searching for music was tough.. if you need to use a composite in then there are many good frontends.. ie media engine

www.mediaengine.org
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

Working...
          X