Lengthening LCD lines...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lengthening LCD lines...

I have a laptop I've disassembled for use in my car, but have a small problem with the lenght of the lines connecting the screen to the laptop...

I want to know if it's possible to lengthen the data cable somehow -- can i cut and splice longer lines in without degrading signal?

How about the power line? If I splice longer lines in there will there be an issue with power? I doubt this one will be effected as much my a splice than the data signal, but you never know.

Data Signal..

Power Cable..
    -Brad
    83 mp320i
    99 mp323i
    _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

you should have no problems with the power.

extending the data lines can be tricky, the quality degredation will depend on length, your connection skill, and noise introduced.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

he's lucky that he has proper wires to extend, instead of the usual flattened copper on a plastic sheet.
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

the length of your data cables should not be over 18 inches i think I've read. The controller for it is not powerfull enough to send a strong enough signal any further then that. That said, you can give it a try and you never know .. it might just work
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

I tried making a 1 metre long cable, and it barely worked (I used an old ide ribbon cable as an extension)... There were juddery lines, random flashes, it wasn`t very good ... It now works much better now its been chopped down to 12". I think timing and noise are your main issues here.
          My Setup

Comment

Hmm .. you mention using a old ide ribbon as an extension. How did you go about this? These wires are small so I'm not too thrilled about all this chopping up.
            -Brad
            83 mp320i
            99 mp323i
            _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

What I did was remove the IDE plugs from each end of my ide cable. I then went on to solder hirose plugs on each end of the cable... It was very very fiddly, but i managed.
              My Setup

Comment

Pardon my ignorance .. but what is a hirose plug?
                -Brad
                83 mp320i
                99 mp323i
                _________

Comment

Hirose is a brand name of 20-160 pin plugs that are very small...most LCDs seem to use one size. (except mine)

I also have foot long ide cables extending my LCD signals...I used bigger wire with a high voltage rating (more insulation to prevent arcing). I had to connect it to the POS plastic flat ribbon...so I have 3 bad connections...two cause a 'ghosting' effect on the lower half of the screen, the other causes the screen to go blank on occasion.

Luckily you have wires...be grateful!
                  current projects

Comment

Can someone point me towards a 20-pin Hirose connector? Would be sweet to use an ide cable for the extension, but have 2 hirose connectors on each end of the ide cable so i just have to "plug it in" to the existing connector... is this possible or am I dreaming?
                    -Brad
                    83 mp320i
                    99 mp323i
                    _________

Comment

You're dreaming. The connector in your picture looks nothing like a hi-rose connector.

The best you could hope to achieve with hirose is with 2 male and 2 female connectors. Break the existing cable and solder on a male and female in the gap so you can plug it back together. Then make a male to female extension that you can insert in the middle.

Kind of defeats the whole point of building a cable so you can just plug it in though.

Rob
                      Old Systems retired due to new car
                      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Yeah that does defeat the purpose. The reason for wanting to make a 'removable extension' was to just add it to one side (not inthe middle) of the cable and then I could simply remove it if it didn't work. If I cut these lines up and can't get it to work I'm going to be in a heap of trouble...

-Capt.
                        -Brad
                        83 mp320i
                        99 mp323i
                        _________

Comment

Help! Lengthening LCD lines...

Well, I went for it .. chopped up a IDE cable and cut the lcd signal in half .. spent the day stripping the wires and soldering .. then covering in elec. tape for protection.. here are 2 pics of the done job..

After I was done, plugged it in and booted up.. at first .. SUCCESS! I get a perfect picture of the bios boot screen .. detects ram, cpu, etc .. then it just sits there... I try to enter the bios .. says "entering bios" .. but it never goes there. Is this related to the lines I just made? HELP!

-Capt
                          -Brad
                          83 mp320i
                          99 mp323i
                          _________

Comment

have you just tried to let it boot first ?

How are we supposed to know if it's related !
                            [H]4 Life
                            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

Yep - -that's what I tried to do the first time .. I figured I'd enter the bios to see if I would see some of the BIOS colors .. blues and yellows .. that would give me more of a sign the connections were good..

-Capt.
                              -Brad
                              83 mp320i
                              99 mp323i
                              _________

Comment

Working...
                              X