TFT vs STN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFT vs STN

Have the chance to get a 7.2" STN screen with 230400 dots at a good price. Would this screen work ok?

I have a Epia M9000 coming soon, and would like to use it with Sat Nav and DVD's... Would this screen be readable for this?

What would a 5.6" TFT be like? I quite like the 7.2", just the STN bit putting me off a bit!

Thanks for any help,

Daz.

Done some searching and see STN ain't good for DVD, so there goes that idea!

Whats 5.6" TFT like? Work well and be readable with the Epia?

Comment

tft's screen redraw rate is much faster than a single or dual scan lcd. tft is more like a tv which very little motion trail, STN or DSTN will have motion trails which is horrible for movies
      Alex
      90 300zx twinturbo conversion
      Epia C3, 512 ram, syntax mobo, 80 gig WD, Mediacar, GPS w/Routis, all behind drivers seat, 7in Lcd Lilliput VGA with Touch, wireless adapter for stumbling, Consult ODB1 adapter and data scanner.

Comment

I bought a Joytech 7.2" STN PS2 screen.

I've tried it with DivX and DVD movies and it is perfectly watchable.

Didn't see much trails at all, the only downside is the limited viewing angle.
        4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

When it gets cold STN trails longer than TFT does, i mean it really trails
          Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
          Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

How cold is cold?

Things rarely get below zero in the UK, and when it does we are only talking about -1, -2 Celsius.

It's going into a Saab, and the heater in those things works really well, and really quickly. And the inside of the car rarely gets "Cold" even on a winters morning it is like slipping into a cool but comfortable glove.

It's actually being mounted over a heater Vent (which will normally be switched off when the screen is fitted), so in Winter I could switch it back on to warm the screen.
            4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Honestly, if you can get TFT then get it...It is brighter and clearer than DSTN...I know from experience.
              current projects

Comment

This just the MK1 PC that i'm building, to prove it works to the GF, and that I'm not wasting the money. thats why I've used the full sized motherboard, inverter, and composite STN.

Once she sees how cool and useful it is, I will be building a glovebox build using an Epaia, and a VGA TFT screen for her. then another similar small build for me.

I appreciate it is going to be less than ideal.
                But it is going to be a proof of concept.
                4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Well, I got my Epia M9000, and the screen, on the normal TV is suprisingly clear - i.e. it's perfectly readble.. including normal windows text..

Just need a screen now for the car!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                    Well, I got my Epia M9000, and the screen, on the normal TV is suprisingly clear - i.e. it's perfectly readble.. including normal windows text..

Just need a screen now for the car!
                    I'm using the TVout of a Matrox G450, so with the fonts pumped up a bit, I can get a roughly readable 800x600 output.

I'm going to add a screen magnifier for things where text entry is needed like the GPS routing.
                    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Well, I've done the same... 640x480 and it's mostly readbale on my 28" Tv - What It'll be like on a smaller screen, I dunno yet...

I am running Microsoft Accesibility Magnifier! So if anything is too hard to read (namely road names I've been testing out on!) I can hover over it and I have a small bar at the top which magnifies - can certainly read it then! I could live with this.. the output is very good for Composite!

I'll let ya know how I get on finding a decent screen for the car.. STN 7.2" is looking possible.. but, I'm a little worried about these trails.. I'll be watching DVD's.. but, it won't be cold.. cus' it's above the vents..

Daz.

Comment

Working...
                      X