Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Powering an LCD from the 12v rail of a PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about Powering an LCD from the 12v rail of a PC

    I have a 17inch touch screen monitor, that was removed from an IBM cash register. I have it mounted in my car. My question is: The monitor states it can handle 12-16v with 24Watts max, is it possible/safe to power it via the 12v rail of the PC? I know very little about electrical stuff, so if someone could give me a hint I would greatly appreciate it, as these monitors are about $1500, and I don't really want to fry it just to know if it works or not.

    Thanks

  • #2
    That would be too much draw on the 12v rail and power mainboard too. I would pickup the dc-dc-usb unit http://store.mp3car.com/DCDC_USB_Int..._p/pwr-047.htm and just use that to power your monitor. If it wasn't for the voltage drop of starter motor you could power right from car wiring. SNO

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok, i have an M4-ATX power supply that outputs 250 watts, would that not be enough to power both?

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry I should have asked what you had. Sure that should handle it. Really its only 2amps but might do a little peak above that when you first turn it on. SNO

        Comment


        • #5
          Ok, thanks. I was concerned because of its 24Watts max that the computer PSU would deliver too much, if that is even possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think the M4 has about 10-12amps on 12v rail. Maybe put a 3amp fuse on line to monitor close to M4 just to be safe. Only my 2 cents SNO

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok thanks, will give that a try

              Comment


              • #8
                If it can handle 12-16v, why not power it straight off the car's electrical system?
                The only issue you'd have is the monitor dropping out during vehicle crank...

                In my eyes that would make for simpler wiring.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?



                Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                  If it can handle 12-16v, why not power it straight off the car's electrical system?
                  The only issue you'd have is the monitor dropping out during vehicle crank...

                  In my eyes that would make for simpler wiring.
                  You would still want to make sure you use some sort of filter since the spike at startup can be significant.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    On thinking about it, this might also be a cheap solution for you http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0001_175805_-1 and just use that for your monitor. That monitor might be too finicky for straight automotive power, for 25 bucks I wouldn't risk it. SNO

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
                      On thinking about it, this might also be a cheap solution for you http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0001_175805_-1 and just use that for your monitor. That monitor might be too finicky for straight automotive power, for 25 bucks I wouldn't risk it. SNO
                      That would work, however Jameco says it would get shipped to me 13 weeks after they receive the order

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Where you at and how you paying? It shows order today ships today when I look. I just called the 1-800 number and was told they have over 100 in stock. SNO
                        Last edited by SNOtwistR; 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
                          Where you at and how you paying? It shows order today ships today when I look. I just called the 1-800 number and was told they have over 100 in stock. SNO
                          Hmm weird, when I looked at it the other day it said 13 weeks, now it says "Availability:Ship 3 Days ARO"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes it can
                            I have an incar-pc powered with a M4-ATX which also powers my 19inch flatscreen in my trunk. The screen is a regular 19 inch screen from whom I bypassed the 220v input. Somewhere on the printboard they all get to 12v, you just have to find where !
                            As it's powered by the M4-ATX there is no trouble of instable peak voltages.
                            Greetings
                            Ced

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X