converting home lcd to mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting home lcd to mobile

I've been doing some research on the subject and found that most LCDs made for your home actually do run off of 12V DC the unit itself just breaks down the 115V AC to DC. IMHO this would save a lot of money and would enable a lot of the cool bigger screens designed for home use feasible for in-car use. Of course I could always use an inverter but I have heard they have their problems.

Has anyone ever done something like this before? I've looked around and haven't found anything...

BTW the screen I am looking at is made by NITS and is a 17" w/ S-video in as well...no touch screen, and I know it weighs more...but oh well, I think a 17" screen would kick ***. Cheapest price I found is $299. here's a link to the monitor http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29502

Thanks in advance.

you'd need to regulate the power going into it, but depending on what current the screen takes a small linear regulator with the right heatsink could do it. Other options would be the more exotic flybacks (ala sproggy) which would do the same thing, just with more components, more complexity and more efficiency.

Then theres just the small problem of fitting it in the dash....

Comment

Before you buy a 17" you should measure it out in your car first. I have a Suburban and a 15" is too big to fit in the dash or console.

Comment

If I can fit a 15" screen into a tiny little smart car im sure you guys can fit them in your SUV's ! :lol
        www.t1ny.com

Comment

heres a pic....

It motorises straight down, flush with the top of the dash, in case you wondered how I drive !! lol
          I use it with the top half showing for Nav while driving etc

www.t1ny.com

Comment

Originally posted by T1NY W
            heres a pic....

It motorises straight down, flush with the top of the dash, in case you wondered how I drive !! lol
            Thats pretty sweet! do you actually drive around with that up and turned on? Here in the states, that would get you immediately pulled over by your closest friendly policeman. Did you make it yourself? or did someone else do that??
            My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
            Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Yeah I use it all the time for GPS nav, and for watching movies at shows/cruises etc.. oh and for playing PS2

Over here it's legal to use a screen while driving so long as it's not a moving image, or has something to do with the satus of the car ie. gps

oh.. but I only use it halfway up while driving or I cant see where im going !! lol
              www.t1ny.com

Comment

Over here it's legal to use a screen while driving so long as it's not a moving image, or has something to do with the satus of the car ie. gps
                Cool, another person to back my dad up (normally he's pretty good with legality to do with stuff on/in cars, but i've had him proved wrong a couple of times recently, so was starting to doubt him! ) with him saying providing it's not a moving image (ie video/tv) and is to do with status of car/navigation

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

Yep

The police have seen it on many occasions and they just smile
                  www.t1ny.com

Comment

how do you make it go up and down

Comment

Just press the button, the motor does the rest
                      www.t1ny.com

Comment

I want to do that but then I couldnt sit all g-funk in my car and still see the road lets see bad posture vs nice screen hmm

acctually let me give you a visual im 5' 5" and people taller than me get in my car and move the seat up Its all about comfort for me.

Ohh yeah im prob the one cutting you off on the freeway

Comment

heres a pic....

Nice looking work!

Have you got a web site with some more photo's of your installation?

C!
                          http://carpc.riposte.net
                          I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Sadly I hardly have time to work on the cars let alone time to build a site

it's something i would love to do.. but it'll have to wait for a while till the cars' done..
                            Sorry.

I'll try and upload some more photos so you can all have a look
                            www.t1ny.com

Comment

Working...
                            X