This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Cost???

I can buy a 15" TFT LCD for $188 but a 10" LCD costs $400? why? a 30" one costs $4000, the smaller the LCD is the cheaper it is to make thus the cheaper it is to buy... why is there such a difference over 5" ? i may have to use a 15" is can't find a store that doesnt rip people off...

Smaller LCD's have less demand. Remember the higher the demand the cheaper the price.

It has to do with economics.

Small LCD's are sold a lot less than 15"ers
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

Comment

$400 for a 7.3" LCD is not a ripoff, it has a touch screen and is made is small supply. Take Economis I and come back
      1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

It's also part of electronics, the bigger they get the more it costs, the smaller it gets the more it costs, gotta kind the middle ground!

Also those big LCDs need AC power while the little LCDs are only 12V

Comment

Originally posted by vairox
          I can buy a 15" TFT LCD for $188 but a 10" LCD costs $400? why? a 30" one costs $4000, the smaller the LCD is the cheaper it is to make thus the cheaper it is to buy... why is there such a difference over 5" ? i may have to use a 15" is can't find a store that doesnt rip people off...
          When a company makes lots (in the tens and hundreds of thousands) of something, they can do it cheaper. Sometimes orders of magnitude cheaper.

Other factors involving quality may drive the prices higher - a few things to compare.

Resolution - higher is better
          Brightness - measurement of the screens brightness.
          Contrast ratio - What is the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black. This is very important to know. You can always pump up the brightness with more light, but if the CR is too low, everything gets blown out and looks like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X
            $400 for a 7.3" LCD is not a ripoff, it has a touch screen and is made is small supply. Take Economis I and come back
            actually....IT IS ! anyone who would pay $400 for a 7" screen is a MORON...a MORON...had to say that twice so you caught it, just in case you ended up paying $400 for a 7" screen...

well, i found a 10" TFT LCD, 300 nits, 50,000 backlight with stand for $79 but they were sold out, they are going to let me know when they get more in...some sort of surplus.

Comment

I don't know what a "50,000 backlight" is but another thing that drives up the cost of the smaller LCD is the VGA controller. A lot of the cheaper LCDs don't include VGA controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by vairox
                actually....IT IS ! anyone who would pay $400 for a 7" screen is a MORON...a MORON...had to say that twice so you caught it, just in case you ended up paying $400 for a 7" screen...

well, i found a 10" TFT LCD, 300 nits, 50,000 backlight with stand for $79 but they were sold out, they are going to let me know when they get more in...some sort of surplus.
                There is a big difference between surplus and retail. You cannot compare prices when you are talking about surplus. Surplus = no warantee, no tech support or very little service. Also, when the stock runs out, there is no more.

My company bought many 5.8" NTSC and PAL LCDs from Transvideo (www.transvideointl.com) that cost about $2000. We've also just bought a couple 10" units from Astro Systems that cost around $9600.

I guess we must be super morons eh?

Comment

Originally posted by phc
                  There is a big difference between surplus and retail. You cannot compare prices when you are talking about surplus. Surplus = no warantee, no tech support or very little service. Also, when the stock runs out, there is no more.

My company bought many 5.8" NTSC and PAL LCDs from Transvideo (www.transvideointl.com) that cost about $2000. We've also just bought a couple 10" units from Astro Systems that cost around $9600.

I guess we must be super morons eh?
                  yes super morons, tech support? you don;t know how to hook up an LCD? no wonder you guys bought those highly overpriced units, did you think they hooked themselves up? tsk tsk... i'd rather buy a slightly used LCD for $79 than a 7" one for $400, just cause theres some jackoff with a manual and a phone number i can call and get help from...hey if you feel better about getting ripped off then so be it, far be it from me to take the enjoyment from your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
                    I don't know what a "50,000 backlight" is but another thing that drives up the cost of the smaller LCD is the VGA controller. A lot of the cheaper LCDs don't include VGA controllers.
                    50,000 hour backlight life, which is around 5.7 years. this LCD comes with a pci video card that also supplies power, pretty cool if you ask me.

Comment

Oh dont get me started on this one...

Look at the pic.

Why spend $140,000 on a sports car when only two people fit.

When you can spend $23,000 on a van and carry all your kids.

I guess the first guy is a super moron.
                      Attached Files
                      - 3+ years & still no carputer!
                      - Done collecting parts
                      - Currently planning setup

Comment

vairox: No, I spent $500 on my 7.3" LCD. It has a USB touchscreen and is VGA compatible from the start. Also has great resulution and the thing looks awsome If you can't afford the good stuff, buy what you can or save and buy the best later..

Just like Mitokondria's picture.. Heh.. We all have the LCD that goes on the left side, while yours is on the right side
                        1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

vairox you might think you got the deal of a lifetime but in most cases you only got what works for you. Personally I am looking for a 7" Touch Screen with VGA and Composite to work with my indash DVD player and my onboard video card. so your "well, i found a 10" TFT LCD, 300 nits, 50,000 backlight with stand for $79" would NOT work for what I need. So how in the world can you compare apples to oranges? Just cause they are LCD's does NOT make them the same for each application..

Now you find me a 7" LCD TFT with Touch Screen 400nits VGA controller and 2 composite for under $400.00 then you have the right to call me a moron.. Until then STFU.
                          www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

What The Durango Kid said - "STUF" n00b!
                            1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Originally posted by The Durango Kid
                              Now you find me a 7" LCD TFT with Touch Screen 400nits VGA controller and 2 composite for under $400.00 then you have the right to call me a moron.. Until then STFU.

The new TM710VG coming from digitalww will be 399

moron
                              [H]4 Life
                              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X