Largest and best

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest and best

What is everyones opinion on what the largest and best VGA touchcreen monitor is? Where can it be purchased?

Originally posted by Jerome Chance
    What is everyones opinion on what the largest and best VGA touchcreen monitor is? Where can it be purchased?
    largest screen would be whatever you can fit in the opening you are planning. obviously, there is no answer to this question.

other that that, i would add, the best screen (in your eyes) is going to be the one that you feel comfortable buying. after all, im sure if you throw enough money out there someone would make you a nice screen to your size, bightness, resolution requirements. but it would be pricey.

if you can find something on ebay, that is usually the best bet, but beware of monochrome, DSTN, and bare screens. if you can find a package deal with all the controllers and cables, there you go.

or, you can look into a prepackaged solution from dc customs, or armin, or whomever is selling the 7" touchscreens now-a-days. sorry i dont have that much info on them, as i already had a screen (several) when the 7" craze hit mp3car.

one final option is vga or composite input. vga means more money but generally better resolution.

best of luck, and ask around if you find something that you like off the site. but, please do a search first. there are many screens discussed here that are for sale elsewhere.

~Mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I just recieved my xenarc 700TS (7" VGA touchscreen) today in the mail. Looks really nice...but smaller than I pictured. I can fit a 9 or 10" in the dash of my 00 expedition with some hacking, and now that I see all the cool wireless keyboards and pointing devices, I am contenplating if a touchscreen is even needed.
      -AL
      * 2000 Ford Expedition
      * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
      * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
      * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

Comment

Originally posted by -al-
        and now that I see all the cool wireless keyboards and pointing devices, I am contenplating if a touchscreen is even needed.
        It's needed, you will regret if you don't have it
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Yea, I'd go along with that one. It has greatly improved the way I mobile\compute. Now if I could just find a really great way to mount it.
          Peter
          Stop Buying New Music CD's.
          Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Chance
            I've seen that there are now 24" widescreen LCD's made by Samsung. Big enough?
            http://carpc.riposte.net
            I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

I appreciate everyones input. I guess I should have stated my question differently. What I really want to know is is there a particular brand/model/size/vga/touchscreen combination that stands out. I am more interested in a bigger monitor but if people think that a 24" touchscreen is crappy quality and a 7" is the best i want to know that too. Price isnt an obstacle and neither is the size...I have the space I just want the best quality at the biggest size. Thanks again fellas.

Comment

he whats this going in because you said size dont matter.. and if that it then i need to get the car or truck your driving.....

Comment

My readings here over the last year or so suggest that the Xenarc\Gain VGA TPs (thanks fredenfromswede!) are the choice for most, as they offer all the functionality in a compact unit, with a screen size of 7" (@16:9).

My suggestion? Read everything in the 'Show off my Project' forum. I've seen a bunch of systems in there that are using 10.4" laptop screen pulls for viewing/controlling the system, so this is probably your best resource.

It seems that if you want to go this way, you'll need to pull together all the parts, possibly from various suppliers, so it can be more of a challenge.

One of the things that the Gain\Xenarc screens offer is convenience - it's a single box solution. Bigger screens require seem to require more hunting about.

C!
                  http://carpc.riposte.net
                  I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Working...
                  X