Indash monitor housing help... 7" in dash VGA conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indash monitor housing help... 7" in dash VGA conversion

Hi, I have been into carputing for a few years now... and have a digitalww 7" in dash monitor (composite input only) and 2 7" Xenrac touchscreen monitors (1VGA, 1 composite).

Now, I was feeling ambitious the other day, and moved the xenrac VGA touchscreen parts into the digitalww in dash housing....

My problem is now, how do I get the cables to fit properly in the in-dash housing? There does not seem to be enough room for the cables when I push the monitor in. Any suggestions?

Has anyone in this group done anything similar?
    If so, would you mind giving me some ideas / showing me pictures the monitor (specifically how the cable enters / folds in the in dash part of the housing)?

Thanks

I am also interested in this.

I purchased the housing for the DWW-7VGA in dash monitor from digitalww (just the housing, NO panel) and installed my xenarc VGA in it and added a touchscreen kit to it. It all works beautiful, which is great, but like vwaddict, I cannot figure out how to route the power + thick signal cable and make the monitor push all the way in the indash housing. Infact I nicked some of the insulation off the signal cable trying to close it... it apperiantly got caught in the internal latch.

If I can't get this to work right, I may just take it all apart, take a loss selling it, and eventually buy a fully assembled one from Armen. I hope I don't have to... since I have everything I need already.

I am open for any suggestions and advice.

Comment

Start with this and I will add more pictures to show the ending: http://digitalww.com/VGA_Controller_howto.htm

Armen
      http://www.digitalww.com

Comment

Thanks Armen, This information was really helpful sofar... I was having a tough time with the signal cable routing.

BTW... has anyone had difficulties with the latch in the in-dash housing? Sometimes the monitor just won't latch when I push it into the housing. I checked, nothing seems to be interfering with it.

Comment

Does Armen still have the housings on his web site, I can't seem to find it, if not then Armen are you still selling them and if so for how much

Comment

he doesnt state them on his website but you can email him for a pricing quote.
            just ordered one from him, waiting for it to arrive
            time for the sig:

'00 VW golf TDI upped to 130 HP - 18" RS 6 wheels - liliput 7" tft in indash housing - epia 10K - SB audigy - caliber 1 fahrad CAP - RF punch amp - hollywood 1.6K mono amp - boston acoustics pro - RF 10" DVD sub

Comment

If I'm understanding this correctly, we can buy an empty in-dash housing that would fit a 7" screen? Is it motorized? Even if it's not, I guess this would be a good buy

Comment

I bought one, it works great for the monitor.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured how to mount it into my dash yet. It doesn't fit into a single din sleeve and there is nothing in my dash to attach the box to.
                Peter
                Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

I am lucky.. My 7" housing fits perfectly into 1/2 of my double-din VW radio opening.

I guess I was lucky.

Comment

I have a double din too, so this might work.
                    Would it be possible to get the motorized case of the GA700YY? I guess I should ask Armen directly, but if he replies here directly, people will know if it's possible or not.

Comment

I don't want to put words in his mouth... but I don't believe you you can just buy the GA700YY case from Armen, atleast from my knowledge reading this forum. Remember the 7" in dash (manual pullout) is slightly wider than normal... it might require some widening of your double din opening. I was lucky because the double din opening on my 2002 VW is slightly oversized.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsp6
                        I don't want to put words in his mouth... but I don't believe you you can just buy the GA700YY case from Armen, atleast from my knowledge reading this forum. Remember the 7" in dash (manual pullout) is slightly wider than normal... it might require some widening of your double din opening. I was lucky because the double din opening on my 2002 VW is slightly oversized.
                        Jason do you have pics of your setup installed in the GTI?

I have been looking for a screen solution, waiting for indash setup. I have the rest of the project almost finished, so I need to get a screen solution. I have no prob making my own as you have if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by fierrpawz
                          Jason do you have pics of your setup installed in the GTI?

I have been looking for a screen solution, waiting for indash setup. I have the rest of the project almost finished, so I need to get a screen solution. I have no prob making my own as you have if it works.
                          i have a jetta, the only thing tricky about the indash units is the fastening. fits perfect in the din but fastening it is a little tricky

Comment

If you are lucky enough to have a mounting bracket in your double din space it is a breeze to install. I have a nissan frontier and I had a mounting bracket. It is a bit too wide so I had to bend the bracket a little to get it to fit.
                            EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

hi im looking at getting a DWW-7VGA, live in Australia.
                              I was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions of the housing, so i can measure whether it will fit in dash? as there seems to be some conflicting interests as to what exact size it is in this thread? thanks for the help
                              glolite

Comment

Working...
                              X