No announcement yet.

How is DVD quality TM-701L vs 1440x234?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is DVD quality TM-701L vs 1440x234?

Ok I know the TM-701L has a resolution of 2400x480.
    I am interested in only watching DVD & playing Xbox in my car.
    Most other LCD's are only 1440x234 at best.
    Is DVD quality playback sooooo much better for the TM-701L?
    Anyone capared? Any screenshots?

Originally posted by Beefy6969
    Ok I know the TM-701L has a resolution of 2400x480.
    I am interested in only watching DVD & playing Xbox in my car.
    Most other LCD's are only 1440x234 at best.
    Is DVD quality playback sooooo much better for the TM-701L?
    Anyone capared? Any screenshots?

You mean 800x480 for the tm-701
    and 480x234 for your others

lets compare,

DVD native resolution = 720x480 = 345600 pixels
    TM-701 native resolution = 800x480 = 384000 pixels
    Other lcds = 480 x 234 = 112320 pixels

See the difference ?
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

I'm glad I'm the only one who gets pee'd off at the continual use of quoting screens as "high res" by listing the number of individual Red Green and Blue elements as the horizontal pixels.

It just confuses the issue of comparing screens as the VGA capable screens quote resolutions such as 800x480 whereas the cheaper screen will say something like 1440x234 when they are really 480x234. Those who don't realise just think why do I need to pay twice the price for that VGA screen when this cheepo one has a higher res.

Arrgggghhhhh

Anyway getting back to why I posted. If you are going to get a TM-701L screen makes sure its exactly that. Some suppliers have run out and send the 702L instead. ITS NOT THE SAME!!! it uses a Sharp panel and its only good for 480x234 not 800x480 like the panny panel in the 701L
      My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

Whoa, thats crazy.
        What about the major companies like Clarion & Pioneer etc?
        Their monitor specs are comparable to low budget LCDs?

The public has been decieved. There are so many people out there with budget LCDs that don't understand resolutions,pixels,etc. Or maybe there are so many inferior products out there.

And what if my player supports progressive scanning? This will be even more confusing.

I just want the best quality DVD playback so I dont have to upgrade in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy6969
          Whoa, thats crazy.
          What about the major companies like Clarion & Pioneer etc?
          Their monitor specs are comparable to low budget LCDs?
          Most of the time, you just hit the nail on the head.

Frodo
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Yep. I would go as far as to say that since most of the AV headunits were designed last year, that they are probably using the same panels that the cheaper LCD screens now contain

The only Car manufacturer screen I've seen that is any where near the res of the TM701L is the Alpine IVA-D900. Even though it has not got a VGA input, it will actually have a better picture display for DVD as the picture is being generated by the headunit from the internal DVD player and hence stays as an RGB signal and probably as a digital one too.

OT: It does have RGB nav input so is it poss to do the PS2 screen style trick to get it to accept VGA input??? In fact is it possible to do this on any of these RGB SAT/NAV input AV headunits as surely that would give a better piccy from a PC than the using the TV-Out connected to the composite Video inputs these all seem to have?
            My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

Working...
            X