No announcement yet.

Difference between STN and TFT screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between STN and TFT screen?

Could someone tell me the difference between STN and TFT? I know that TFT is higher quality, but that's about it. I want to get a 7" NO-touchscreen budget lcd. Evil people and ignorant people (or salespersons in general ) lie when selling these things, which makes it hard to pick one.

This one is STN:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48609

This one is TFT:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48609

I noticed that the plastic casing is different. But it leads me to wonder if it's actually a TFT screen underneath, or if it's fake. How can I find out?

The price will usually give it away...If it's at or below $100, it's an STN. TRUST ME!!!!! I have made the mistake of buying an STN screen thinking it would be good enough JUST FOR DVDs and it sucks. I stress this enough!!!! TRUST ME, TRUST ME, TRUST ME...
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Yeah I'm planning on getting the TFT one. It looks solid to me after comparing the looks and model number and whatnot. Just making sure before I make the same mistake.

Comment

Stn = Awful, Tft = Better, Vga = Best!

Originally posted by Defiler
        The price will usually give it away...If it's at or below $100, it's an STN. TRUST ME!!!!! I have made the mistake of buying an STN screen thinking it would be good enough JUST FOR DVDs and it sucks. I stress this enough!!!! TRUST ME, TRUST ME, TRUST ME...

STN = AWFUL using Svideo, TFT = BETTER with Svideo

TFT LCD with VGA Input = BEST!

If you are hooking it up to a computer...get one with a VGA input. If you are just watching movies, get TFT. If you need an LCD for a bathroom and won't watch it for long...get STN.

There I edited it to make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by yuprules
          STN = AWFUL, TFT = BETTER, VGA = BEST!

If you are hooking it up to a computer...get one with a VGA input. If you are just watching movies, get TFT. If you need an LCD for a bathroom and won't watch it for long...get STN.
          STN/DSTN wont refresh as fast. They work great for still images though, and some have better viewing angles than TFT. Some worse. Colors will blur during video.

TFT=active matrix. Capable of full speed video with good color, some better than others.

VGA= nothing to do with type of LCD's!

Comment

I'm not really worried about DVD quality playback. I'm using this mostly to play 8-bit Nintendo games... haha. w00t!

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
              I'm not really worried about DVD quality playback. I'm using this mostly to play 8-bit Nintendo games... haha. w00t!
              Get STN then, but your eyes will be teary after a while...so I would spend the extra cash and get a TFT monitor...but that's my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
                Games suffer just as DVD does. Most NES games would work fine, but I think even SMB 1 would blur running at full speed.

If your not going to use a GPS or anything else where small text would matter, a composite TFT screen would work fine.

Comment

Bleh... I really wanna get the Lilliput 219GL-70NP, but that eBay link above is the only guy that has it. I'd be paying a lot more to have it shipped from Hong Kong. Also, he's got no feedback and I'm not really into getting ripped off. My friend lost 3 grand on eBay a couple months ago. :/

Comment

STN = Stinky Terd Nugget

Comment

Nope NES emulator looks like crap on a DSTN.

A lot of smearing with Mario.
                      current projects

Comment

Working...
                      X