Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-input VGA display

Hey all,

Looking for a good multi-input VGA display. Basically what I need is one which can accept a VGA input, but also accept a composite or s-video signal from a second source (DVD player). It would also need to take 2 sets of RCA audio inputs (1 Left and 1 Right for each source), and would need to pass through the signal to the output for whichever input is selected. In other words, I want to set my head unit to the auxillary input, and then select the video input and have the correct audio passed through to the car's HU.

Unfortunately, it seems the Xenarc products will likely not do what I need and the input from those who have tested the Lilliput screens is less than hopeful.

Touchscreen is a nice option, but it wouldn't make or break my choice right now. The only sort of thing I can find is composite/s-video only, which of course is going to look like complete trash when I try to do anything other than DVD. I need VGA so I can set up this machine as a full-blown mp3 audio/mpeg video/gps navi unit...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kam
    2003 Toyota Camry V6
    Kenwood Excelon 790 HU, VIA C7 + M2-ATX, Xenarc 700TSV, and 5 discreetly installed amps.

for the dvd player, why not just get a dvd drive in your vga device (which im assuming is some sort of carputer).

Comment

I'd like to hide the whole machine in the trunk and just string 2x USB/1x VGA up to the dash. Already have the enclosure for the mobo/cd/hdd started. Besides, I don't have any room under my seats anymore (6 amps in the cabin of the car)

I may have found the answer from digitalww though... http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-7VGA.htm.

Anyone have experience with these? The pixel res. seems okay for what I want to do (don't need to run the PC at an uber-high resolution). Just wonder if this does any audio passthrough whatsoever

Thanks again,

-K
      2003 Toyota Camry V6
      Kenwood Excelon 790 HU, VIA C7 + M2-ATX, Xenarc 700TSV, and 5 discreetly installed amps.

Comment

Im planning to get a DWW-7VGA aswell. I saw it on some guys Mitsu Evo carpc. Do you have any firewire ports on your motherboard? or can you add any? I am thinking of either sticking my carputer in my trunk or under my passanger seat, which doesnt really provide easy access to mounted optical drives in the case. You can get neato IDE to firewire controllers:
        http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pnpgadgets/co-0801.html
        firewire has a pretty decent distance and ultra high bandwith, so im going to mount it on the center of my dash (under my AC controls, theres an aux 'cigarette' style power conduit). Power for the drive is provided by the firewire bus. Since im using a slot load dvd-rom, i wont have to worry about the tray opening up and hitting anything or breaking.

Another option is just running a nice neat rounded ide cable if you can manage to stay within the 3' ide distance limitation.

This might not help you, but it was fun to rant. Cheers. :}

Comment

No FW ports currently, but can be very easily added. Also, running cable is a snap, just gotta pop out the center console and lift the carpet/back seat.

Gonna be interesting to see if I can pull this off and still have a visually appealing and functional product

Hope your project goes well!

-K
          2003 Toyota Camry V6

Comment

Working...
          X