Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Powering LCD

    Does anyone power their lcd from one of their computers +12v power leads?

    before pops up 10 times, i did but searching for "lcd" and "power" brings very mixed results
    My Mazda 3s

    My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

    [||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

  • #2
    Originally posted by vcbb5
    Does anyone power their lcd from one of their computers +12v power leads?

    before pops up 10 times, i did but searching for "lcd" and "power" brings very mixed results
    Yea, its a common practice. If your dc-dc regulator does not regulate 12v, it is the same as wiring it to your battery / fusebox / cigarette lighter.

    --Tom
    ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah you definately want to get it fed from a regulated 12v source
      My JeepPC Install

      "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

      "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

      Comment


      • #4
        so is the comp p/s regulated? What is a non-regulated source?
        My Mazda 3s

        My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

        [||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

        Comment


        • #5
          A source that will not allow voltage above 12v to come through the line. So it won't fluctuate or spike when devices are turned off else where in the car or when the alternator is producing a higher voltage.

          It will protect the device from too higher voltage basically. Well that is my understaning anyway.

          Simon
          My Alfa Romeo Sprint page
          What am I selling on ebay today?

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm using power supply to give all juice to my lcd, yellow lead gives +12 and enough current to support 4ccfl lcd.
            Danny.

            "If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
            My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vcbb5
              so is the comp p/s regulated? What is a non-regulated source?
              the car's battery is not regulated. it will swing from 8 to 14+ volts. you need to regulate this to a constant 12v before applying it to your mobo. if you use a dc-dc converter that will regulate it ... if you're using a inverter and a normal ps ... that will regulate it

              if you are using just a normal ps likw the pw60 and pw70 ... they are not regulated and you need to regulate the power before the ps.
              My JeepPC Install

              "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

              "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shakes
                the car's battery is not regulated. it will swing from 8 to 14+ volts. you need to regulate this to a constant 12v before applying it to your mobo. if you use a dc-dc converter that will regulate it ... if you're using a inverter and a normal ps ... that will regulate it

                if you are using just a normal ps likw the pw60 and pw70 ... they are not regulated and you need to regulate the power before the ps.
                Even though it is best to have regulated DC, it is not always required. In my last carputer, I ran an NTSC screen off straight battery for over a year. My friend did the same. Just make sure you disconnect it if you ever jumpstart your car.

                These were cheaper TFT NTSC LCD's, so I was not too worried about them blowing up. For my new lilliput, I am giving it regulated 12v.
                ME-6000, Lilliput 7" vga + touch, generic GPS, RedHat 9, custom mapping software.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ciagon
                  Even though it is best to have regulated DC, it is not always required.
                  this is true. especially if you are using all laptop components you can run 14v through a pw-70 and no harm should occur. Laptop drives only use the 5v rail so nothing will be pulling off of the 12v rail to be damaged.

                  and yeah you could also do the screen like that. give it long enough and it will die unless the manufacturer has accounted for it and has a reg inside the lcd circuits.

                  if I'm spending $500 on something I'd rather not chance it but, like you said... they were cheap so no worries.
                  My JeepPC Install

                  "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

                  "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X