Options for display with a reg computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for display with a reg computer

I'm building a regular computer for my car and through searches have found out laptop screens are not the way to go. I want to have something that displays DVDs clearly but am on a very tight budget. Looking for something around 10.1, touchscreen would be cool but I don't know anything about it. Can someone tell me what options there are out there? Preferably cheap options that can plug right into a video card or can plug into a video card with slight modding. TIA

Maybe I'm asking for too much display. Searched ebay and I only see one display in my size range, 12.1, it seems a little shady. It's just the screen, no cables or anything. Can someone more knowledgable tell me if this is a good deal or junk? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32826
    Also, in reality I won't be playing DVDs very often, but I would like a screen that the pass. can see easily enough. Is 7.2" too small to be able to watch a movie on?

Comment

This looks kinda like a laptop screen and at 12.1" it just might be

Comment

That's what I was thinking and since it doesn't come with any cables and the guy 'doesn't know anything about installing them' I'm pretty sure it is a laptop screen as well.

Comment

Can I use an LCD TV with a tv-out card?

Comment

not for GPS purposes tho. Today I saw an ad of 14" LCD on sale for like $179 in a local Best Buy store. so if space isn't an issue you should go for it
            Current Status: For Sale

Specs
            - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
            - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
            - DeLorme GPS (sold)
            - Power Inverter (sold)
            - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

sad_rocc, that ebay auction is for the LCD panel only. You still need a controller fo rit. Realistically, that LCD is worth about $10. He got it for about $12 each at
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3428885169
              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by carabuser
                not for GPS purposes tho. Today I saw an ad of 14" LCD on sale for like $179 in a local Best Buy store. so if space isn't an issue you should go for it
                Not doing GPS so that's no biggie. Wow, that's cheap! 14" is a little on the big side, would like something 10-12. What about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3055604629
                Curious as to why it's so cheap... I asked the seller about resolution, connection type, etc but haven't heard back yet.

Comment

i dont think you understand you need a controller as well, to even see anything on this display. This wont work without a controller, the reason it is so cheap is because a good controller can be about 6 times as much
                  92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

So that is a laptop monitor then? The 9.5 one? I realize I need a controller for a laptop monitor which is why I'm trying to avoid them, but I didn't realize that was a replacement laptop lcd.

Comment

i dont know what you consider a laptop monitor but i guess its about that size
                      92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

The LCD in the ebay link I posted is what I'm referring to.

Comment

Working...
                        X