Motorizing a LCD display (part 1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorizing a LCD display (part 1)

After installing my cables in the car http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17650 ]Nissan 100 NX (1600) Part I (installing cables and layout) [/url]

I started with finding a way for motorizing my display. Read all the topics here and found it to be a bit difficult.

But this is what i got so far.

I found a manual housing from VDO which used to be sold seperatly; it is the VDO MS 5000.

I put in temporarily my psion so you can see the idea:

Now i need ideas to motorize this unit. maybe i'll use a stepper or a servo motor. I've got some electronics around here.

i think a servo would be too slow ... but much easier to control.

are you wanting it to flip open as well?
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
      i think a servo would be too slow ... but much easier to control.

are you wanting it to flip open as well?

I would like it to flip, but one thing at a time i think.

I 've got a fast and strong servo.

Comment

Originally posted by videodok
        After installing my cables in the car http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17650 ]Nissan 100 NX (1600) Part I (installing cables and layout) [/url]

I started with finding a way for motorizing my display. Read all the topics here and found it to be a bit difficult.

But this is what i got so far.

I found a manual housing from VDO which used to be sold seperatly; it is the VDO MS 5000.

Now i need ideas to motorize this unit. maybe i'll use a stepper or a servo motor. I've got some electronics around here.
        I am going to use my old cd writer since it's not working anymore but the motor and circuitry are still ok. I only got a small lcd and that should fit well... I'm just a bit lazy at the moment - :P

[....99.9%]
        [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
        [....99.8%]
        [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
        [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

I was looking into this as well. I found things call linear actuators. Kinda reminds me of hydraulic arms. Some even have adjustable stop sensors. I have a friend that does custom stuff exactly like this and this is what he suggested. Some of these actuators even have like 300 lbs. of force!
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

are any of these actuators small enough for this application tho? I've seen the big ones people use for raising and lowering doors and whatnot.
            My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
              I was looking into this as well. I found things call linear actuators. Kinda reminds me of hydraulic arms. Some even have adjustable stop sensors. I have a friend that does custom stuff exactly like this and this is what he suggested. Some of these actuators even have like 300 lbs. of force!

I also tought of hydraulics myself. But tought you needed an compressor to make it work, never heard about linear actuators. 'll search for it.

Comment

I also tought of hydraulics myself. But tought you needed an compressor to make it work, never heard about linear actuators. 'll search for it.
                Sorry, I probably didn't make that as clear as it should have been. They are powered by little electric motors, no hydraulics. They just look kind of like hydraulic arms to me. Some are AC power some are DC. You can get them from like 3" extensions to 12" extensions. Hope this helps.
                Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                  are any of these actuators small enough for this application tho? I've seen the big ones people use for raising and lowering doors and whatnot.
                  Check this site out...
                  http://www.theproductfinder.com/actuator/linact.htm
                  Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                    Sorry, I probably didn't make that as clear as it should have been. They are powered by little electric motors, no hydraulics. They just look kind of like hydraulic arms to me. Some are AC power some are DC. You can get them from like 3" extensions to 12" extensions. Hope this helps.
                    Oww it works just with a motor which turns a threaded piece of metal/plastic which by that way pushes in and out, isn't it?

Comment

Oww it works just with a motor which turns a threaded piece of metal/plastic which by that way pushes in and out, isn't it?
                      Basically yeah. Some are notched instead of threaded. There are lots of different types.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

If you have an old 5.4" Floppy/hard drives,
                        You may be able to use the motor and gears, it uses to move the head?

I was thinking of doing this, but have not had the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X