No announcement yet.

Got carputer working tonight... and...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got carputer working tonight... and...

Well, yay it was the first night of running my carputer fully in the car while driving, and I have observed several things.

1) The lilliput is too bright for night use. The brightness control doesn't seem to do anything, which makes it hard to use. It blinds your nightvision.

2) My VGA cable is not well enough shielded, or the power supply is "dirty". Probably a combination of both, but a bit of "pattern" occurs with it. I'm not happy about shelling out another $100 for thick cable.

3) The carputer is distracting, especially when using the GPS. I figure it makes you much more prone to an accident. In fact, anything expect playing mp3s was distracting.

4) My LCD mount is rock solid, and I'm happy about it, but it leans into the passenger's space.

5) I feel prone to car theft now, with the LCD in plain view. The in-dash system didn't work for me, so I had to go with a mounted screen, but I'm afraid to park it anywhere.

Looking back, I'm not sure the time I spent writing my own software and building all the cables for the car PC was worth it. I'm tempted to just stop now and sell off the parts, even though it's working.

Hi Spectrumzz,

Sorry to hear that you are having a few problems with your screen.
    The only part I can maybe help with is that I have used a GPS system in my car for quite a while (going to be upgrading to the full carputer hog).

When I first put this in and mounted the GPS (Streepilot III) on the dashboard and in my field of view. What happened is that it became completely confusing and distracting - felt like I was going to crash everytime I paid it a little attention! If I had to zoom in and look up a route this was even worse - max out - brain overload!

However after a while (and this really is my opinion - nothing grounded in science) is that my brain adapted to this extra stimuli(us) and now I can glance and reroute the GPS with very little effort or distraction.
    The feeling that I have now with the GPS screen is that it had become part of the driving experience rather than a bolt on. So stay with it a little while to see if it improves.
    I'm sure others can help with some of your other points too.

(I know others here have used a low-tech way of reducing the brightness/glare with a Red screen overlay which cuts down on the night adaption being destroyed by the screen.)

Good luck :-)

Russ

Comment

When I had the Clarion AutoPC 310c installed in my car with GPS it had a warning about driving conditions when using the GPS while driving. I'm sure I felt the same way at first but once you get used to it and you don't look at it all the time you should be okay. I mainly glanced at it every now and then when I saw that my field of view of the road was clear (less to no traffic) and the road didn't zig-zag like a madman. All-in-all it worked out fine as most GPS systems in cars. The voice informing me of with a countdown of "1.x miles turn left/right onto (streetname)" helped out alot in my travels! I guess it just depends if you're willing to get over the newness of the "carputer" idea and use it like you would a new stereo in your car rather than trying to watch it all the time while driving!

Comment

>1) The lilliput is too bright for night use. The brightness control doesn't seem to do anything, which makes it hard to use. It blinds your nightvision.

I just wear sunglasses!
        Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

if you keep it in your car and are still scared of theft.. take a picture of everything. Most insurance companies won't believe you put in your own computer and a lcd in dash
          '98 Explorer Sport
          http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
          AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
          80% done

Comment

If it is too bright try experimenting with window tint. dont adhere it permenantly until you are satisfied. Try different shades of tints to get the best result. If the screen runs hot on the display surface they may not be a great idea (the tint may bubble up like you see on cheap installs on car windows) but if it is relatively cool, this should work.
            Also try darker and duller colored themes for windows and the same skins for what ever media player you use. As for your GPS program there shold be a night display option. Use it.

I hope this helps a little, just thought I would share my 2 cents...
            This is my personal homepage no advertisement here. It has a shot of my carpc project.

Comment

what i do or what i did do for the couple days my screen was working.
              At night, i would keep the screen turned off until i needed to use it. If i wanted to change some mp3's that were playing, turn it on, make the change and turn it back off so i can not be tempted to look over at the lcd while im driveing. Seemed to work out great for me. Stopped all the people looking into my car as i pass them to see what that screen was. Some people would even follow me to pull up on the side and see what the screen was. Cool and not cool, cause you really dont know what they are thinking or there intentions are. In the day time i leave it on.
              01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
              01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
              mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

have mine working day or night, MP3's and GPS, don't really have a problem.

Haven't fitted the lilliput yet, I have a Pioneer video screen, which can look bright, but it doesn't worry me.

Comment

when not have the screen saver set to blank at a wait time of 1 min ? At night time it will blank the screen hence no glare problem?

Comment

Why not use MediaCar? It dims at night!
                    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by spectrumzz
                      Well, yay it was the first night of running my carputer fully in the car while driving, and I have observed several things.

1) The lilliput is too bright for night use. The brightness control doesn't seem to do anything, which makes it hard to use. It blinds your nightvision.

5) I feel prone to car theft now, with the LCD in plain view. The in-dash system didn't work for me, so I had to go with a mounted screen, but I'm afraid to park it anywhere.

Looking back, I'm not sure the time I spent writing my own software and building all the cables for the car PC was worth it. I'm tempted to just stop now and sell off the parts, even though it's working.

1) - Mmm, Media car possibly ? Or A dark skin depending on what you use. This could be the back light but as I have not got mine yet I can't say. It could also be as others say getting used to it. I am sure if you had a GPS only system you probably would have the same affect.

5) Err if you in the Uk ( or any where else except some small island some where ) I can aggree. My major concern is turning my fixed system in to a removable one - I'll be looking in to this ASAP.

Re is it worth it ? Well I can relate - after completing v1 I decided it was slow and did not do what I wanted. After 5 days I took it out and for the most part sold off the bits. Now less than 2 months ago I am bringing v2 on line which for the most part has better parts involved. I don't personaly belive you can ever get one of these systems to a corprate spec because of the moeny and technology involved at that level - so if you don't expect pioneer multimedia system for less than 400 your not going to be disapointed. The fun is getting it as close as possible to that level and then pushing that little more out of it.

Certainly don't give up, there are new interfaces ( Mediacar for one ) comming up and technologys improving all the time. For me its about the GPS and the MP3's and I am happy to loose a bit of the quailty of a off the shelf system for some thing I can call unique and my own.

Don't do it yet.. give it time.

Terran

( PS How else can you store all the MP3's in one place )
                      My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                        Why not use MediaCar? It dims at night!
                        Media Engine 2.0 allows you to customize times to switch between night & day skins...very handy.
                        MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
                        Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
                        Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by spectrumzz
                          5) I feel prone to car theft now, with the LCD in plain view. The in-dash system didn't work for me, so I had to go with a mounted screen, but I'm afraid to park it anywhere.(
                          I have used a VDO navigation quick release bracket with my lilliput screen (see pictures in "show off your project")

This makes it very quick and easy to remove the screen as you only need to unplug power and the screen connector. Once removed you can hide it in the car or take it with you..

When i'm just popping in somewhere for a short time i use a wooly hat to cover over the screen!!! (Well it works for me!!!!)

Regards
                          blicky_1

Comment

Hey blicky_1

can you post more pics of the quick release bracket, from the side and closer. Its kind of hard to see exactly what it is. Does it take up a DIN spot? Do you have any links to where you got it or can get it?

Thanks
                            01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                            01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                            mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                              Hey blicky_1

can you post more pics of the quick release bracket, from the side and closer. Its kind of hard to see exactly what it is. Does it take up a DIN spot? Do you have any links to where you got it or can get it?

Thanks
                              I will try and get some more pics up here for the weekend.

I sourced a din blanking plate for the bracket to mount to as i did not want to make any holes in the car. The bracket is from a VDO navigation system (sold seperatley i was told) and was sourced from a local car audio shop. I took the sticky foot plate off the bracket and put the main bolt straight through the blanking plate to hold it on. Drilled a hole in the blanking plate for the cables to run through and bingo a fully removable screen mount!! (you just pinch two lugs together behind the screen and lift the srceen up and off, dead easy)

Regards
                              blicky_1

Comment

Working...
                              X