Mounting a 15" LCD...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a 15" LCD...

Well, I originally had my heart set on mounting a 15" LCD on the ceiling of the car, replacing the rearview mirror, but when I went out to the car (it's currently undergoing a rebuild) I realized that the thing would probably cover most of the middle of the windshield. Since the goal of my system is to make controlling entertainment and the car itself easier during driving, there was no way I was going to let that happen.

So, I decided that I should mount it on an arm coming up from the passenger side of the center console. I don't really have to worry about carting anyone around, thanks to the fact that I'm a bachelor...

The problem I'm having is that despite the fact that I could just mount it on a solid arm, I would much rather be able to swing and fold it into a pocket made specially for it farther up the console underneath the dash. Does anybody know of a good source of armatures capable of multiple angles of motion? I'm envisioning something with about two or three lockable joints.

Am I out of my mind trying to follow this up, or would I just simply be better off mounting it to a solid permanent arm and detaching it for storage? I thought about a wooly hat, but I think it's going to be a little obvious what it's covering, huh?
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Do it like the cop cars. Mount it from beside your center console on the side of the navigator/cup holder's seat. I too am a bachelor. Life is great
    - Lwin M. Maung
    If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph
      Do it like the cop cars. Mount it from beside your center console on the side of the navigator/cup holder's seat. I too am a bachelor. Life is great
      Well, that's pretty much what I had thought to do, but there are two problems:

1) I don't know what hardware I would want to get, or where to get it.

2) Cops dont really have to worry about putting something like that on their console, right out in the open. Who would be stupid enough to try to steal it??
      The ALEXIS Project
      MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
      Color Coding :
      DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Working...
      X