How would you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do it?

Guys, I need some input here. I'm getting good with fiberglassing and had a bunch of ideas, but I just can't decide where to put the 7" screen. Here's a shot. Tell me what you think.
    P4 2.4GHz, Intel mobo w/onboard sound & video, 128MB memory, 100GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive, Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen, IRman using Girder, 150W Opus dc/dc psu, Alpine CDA-9835 h/u, MBQuart speakers, Infinity 15" sub, MTX amps.

Originally posted by Tony S
    Guys, I need some input here. I'm getting good with fiberglassing and had a bunch of ideas, but I just can't decide where to put the 7" screen. Here's a shot. Tell me what you think.
    src="http://home.comcast.net/~aszablowski/benz0.jpg"
    You know, that little cubby underneath the head unit looks mighty ripe for some LCD lovins my friend!
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

That's where I'm thinking, too. I'm good with fiberglassing but not with thinking of how to blend it in, so to speak. I was thinking about glassing it into that cubbyhole so there's no gaps on either side of the screen. The screen fits perfectly if I take out the ashtray and mount it slanted. I guess it's going there.
      P4 2.4GHz, Intel mobo w/onboard sound & video, 128MB memory, 100GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive, Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen, IRman using Girder, 150W Opus dc/dc psu, Alpine CDA-9835 h/u, MBQuart speakers, Infinity 15" sub, MTX amps.

Comment

That it does, but I would be afraid of the stick getting in the way. I would try (but this may be wicked difficult) to take all the buttons in that wood panel above the radio and relocate those to the cubby, and then put the LCD there.

or just get one that pops out
        Progress here: http://www.siriuscybernetics.net

Comment

Originally posted by naevity
          That it does, but I would be afraid of the stick getting in the way. I would try (but this may be wicked difficult) to take all the buttons in that wood panel above the radio and relocate those to the cubby, and then put the LCD there.

or just get one that pops out

Hey you know, those buttons DO look like they're modular. Almost like in a 90s Caravan. You pop the trim plate off, and squeeze a couple clips, and BAM! Instant mount-anywhere-you-can-make-a-hole buttons! Oh man, I'm getting all giddy now. SELL ME YOUR CAR!!

Naevity's right. It might be easier to make a fiberglass "blank" to fill in that cubby, pop the buttons in there, and make a bit of 'glass framework to hold the LCD in the upper area where the buttons were.
          The ALEXIS Project
          Color Coding :

Comment

I'd agree with naevity. It looks like it's the perfect place for a screen right above the HU. Take a lot of pics when you do it
            Current Status: For Sale

Specs
            - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
            - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
            - DeLorme GPS (sold)
            - Power Inverter (sold)
            - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

I vote 'above the HU' Fiberglass the buttons in...with a little ingenuity, a dremel, and some fiberglass...anything is possible!
              MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
              Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
              Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

HOLES!!! WE NEED LOTS OF HOLES!!!

*Hasn't modded an interior in too long a while*
                The ALEXIS Project
                Color Coding :

Comment

Move the HU, and the buttons down, put the screen in their place...worked for me.

(Ok actually I moved my HU up)
                  current projects

Comment

Originally posted by naevity
                    I would try (but this may be wicked difficult) to take all the buttons in that wood panel above the radio and relocate those to the cubby, and then put the LCD there.
                    Fabricator

Comment

You Know it makes sense Bud, Excuse the dodgy photoshop work...only took me 5 mins but you get the idea...

Regards

Chris
                      1992 Honda Civic EG9 Saloon VTi
                      Shuttle XPC SS51G
                      Intel 2.4 Ghz
                      GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64 m. DDR on a Lilliput 7" T/S
                      1024meg PC2700 DDR
                      60 Gig 7,200 Drive
                      16X DVD
                      Haicom H-203-E GPS
                      Zippy Mini-EL Keyboard
                      Opus 150watt PSU

Comment

I thought about moving that part with all the buttons but there's fiber-optic cables for illuminating the buttons and they're not long enough to move. I think the best place is under the HU. Maybe I won't even need to glass it.

Comment

Working...
                        X