Where to mount a video camera.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to mount a video camera.

So I went and grabbed an old Sony HandyCam with night shot off Ebay, and now I'm looking for somewhere to mount it in my car. I'm at a loss for where to put it.

Has anyone else done it, and can they reccomend a place to put the camera. I can't mount it updside down, as I won't have any way to flip the picture right side up.

I'm looking to connect the camera to my GAIN screen with it's RCA inputs.

My system.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=lost
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Right smack in the middle!

Originally posted by fluffy2097
    So I went and grabbed an old Sony HandyCam with night shot off Ebay, and now I'm looking for somewhere to mount it in my car. I'm at a loss for where to put it.

Has anyone else done it, and can they reccomend a place to put the camera. I can't mount it updside down, as I won't have any way to flip the picture right side up.

I'm looking to connect the camera to my GAIN screen with it's RCA inputs.

My system.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=lost
    Mount that bad boy right smack in the middle of the dash, on top, pointing forward. That way everyone will think you're a state trooper!
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Guarrenteed Attention - I Like !!!

Regards

Chris
      1992 Honda Civic EG9 Saloon VTi
      Shuttle XPC SS51G
      Intel 2.4 Ghz
      GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64 m. DDR on a Lilliput 7" T/S
      1024meg PC2700 DDR
      60 Gig 7,200 Drive
      16X DVD
      Haicom H-203-E GPS
      Zippy Mini-EL Keyboard
      Opus 150watt PSU

Comment

Usually they are mounted to a PVC tube rack straddling the headrest posts. Depends what you want to do with it and whether or not it will be permanent.
        Fabricator

Comment

My brother has one of those. The only problem with it is that it will shut itself down after a couple minutes, presumably to save power. We never were able to find a way to get it to knock that off.

If you're just looking for something slick-looking, then by all means, that camera should be pimp! I agree, facing forward on the dash is an excellent idea!
          The ALEXIS Project
          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
          Color Coding :
          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Perhaps I should get a second mount and place it in front of my screen? then build a housing around the whole thing?

I'd like to keep things looking as stock as possible. Best of all. I can record everything onto 8mm tape (I might have to to keep the camera on when i'm driving).
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Hi Deadweasel,

I used to use my camera for timelapse and the only way I could find overcome the "turning off" would be to eject the tape mechanism (leaving it out)and that way it would stay on forever (only useful if you are taking a direct feed from it)

Not sure if it works for all cameras and not a very tidy way of leaving the camera set up

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by russ
                Hi Deadweasel,

I used to use my camera for timelapse and the only way I could find overcome the "turning off" would be to eject the tape mechanism (leaving it out)and that way it would stay on forever (only useful if you are taking a direct feed from it)

Not sure if it works for all cameras and not a very tidy way of leaving the camera set up

Russ
                Blast. "Not tidy" is right! Oh well, although it's a pretty cool thing to see in action, it's for sure a little more than I would be trying to mount in MY car. At least, that is until I take another trip down to Daytona Beach during spring break!
                The ALEXIS Project
                MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                Color Coding :
                DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Cool - I want to see the posted vid of that

Comment

Working...
                  X