Smaller than 7" VGA Widescreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller than 7" VGA Widescreen?

I'm in the final planning phase for my carputer and need some help with this...

I'm looking for a widescreen VGA LCD smaller than 7". It will be mounted in a standard double-din radio slot that is about 1/2" too small for the 7" I looked at. The whole thing needs to be smaller than 7"x4" because it will need to fold down to allow access to the DVD behind it. I have no problem taking the housing apart if the panel/controller are smaller than 7"x4"...I will probably do it anyways for aesthetic reasons.

I've tried ing and came up with a few possibles but not exactly what I'm looking for. All of the 6.4" and 6.5" VGA's I found are standard ratio, not widescreen. I'd even go for a 7" it would fit in a 7"x4" space. This is the last thing I need to decide on so please help!!

What car do you have? Cuz it looks like I have the same problem but if I take the housing apart it'll fit just fine
    Current Status: For Sale

Specs
    - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
    - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
    - DeLorme GPS (sold)
    - Power Inverter (sold)
    - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

It's a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. From the measurements I've found for the Xenarc the panel itself is about 4.5" tall and I only have 4" of room. If I didn't need it to fold down, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Comment

Have a look at the screen from digitalww. according to the specs, it's only 6"x3 3/4"ish without the trim. I am talking about the hitachi screen.
        - Lwin M. Maung
        If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

I was gonna say hitachi too, but it says it 106mm, which is still over 4"

So looks like we're pretty much screwed. I would suggest going for indash one. A bit expensive tho
          Current Status: For Sale

Specs
          - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
          - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
          - DeLorme GPS (sold)
          - Power Inverter (sold)
          - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

True. I was looking at the active area. Sorry.
            - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Yeah your pretty much left with custom molding the dash like I did. Actually, you should all have a much easier job. Its not that difficult really.

Comment

I have an idea but I'm not sure if it'll work. What I'm thinking of doing is allow the bottom to move up/down...so when it opens up, after the top clears the dash the bottom will raise 1/4" to allow it to lie flat and provide access to the DVD. Then when it closes, it just sinks back down again so the top can clear the dash.

Do you guys think this idea would work? Of course, I'd still prefer to have one that would actually fit but if need be here's an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by jagreen2
                  I have an idea but I'm not sure if it'll work. What I'm thinking of doing is allow the bottom to move up/down...so when it opens up, after the top clears the dash the bottom will raise 1/4" to allow it to lie flat and provide access to the DVD. Then when it closes, it just sinks back down again so the top can clear the dash.

Do you guys think this idea would work? Of course, I'd still prefer to have one that would actually fit but if need be here's an alternative.
                  Sounds like a lot of work. I would purchase a flip out screen if it would fit. If you have only 4" it may be hard to fit it and your DVD drive if the DVD is also din sized. You could also simply put the DVD someplace else.

mike
                  91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

I won't be using a head unit or anything like that. My whole carputer will be mounted in the double din slot in the dash. I can't use the in-dash screens...I won't have enough room for it and everything else.

I'd really like to just use a 6.5", 6.4" or even 5.6" widescreen VGA monitor but I'm getting the feeling they don't make them. The only ones I have found are not widescreen so they won't fit

Comment

Can you post a picture of your car with dimensions?
                      - Lwin M. Maung

Comment

Here you go. The horrible photoshop job at the top is an alternate location I'm considering but I don't really like the location (too obvious when I'm driving).

I'm not really concerned with depth...I only need 8.5" and I'm sure I can get that one way or another.

Comment

I'm looking for somehting like this as well, 6.5" Wide VGA, is there anything out yet?

Comment

Any updates on this? I would also like a approx 5inch widescreen VGA - i'm about to settle for an Alpine composite lcd...

There are plenty of composite 5inch widescreens around in "brand name" models, but will these make the cut for a car pc?
                            MPr3Lude!

Comment

I just got one these loks neat and about the size your looking for
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW
                              EPIA MII: 512m Ram: LinITX 8" Touch Screen: Carnetix P1290 PSU: 802b PCMCIA Wireless card: Slot DVD Player: Touchpad: Wireless Keyboard: BU303 GPS Mouse:
                              Win 2000: RoadRunner Front End: Michelin Mapstore GPS: Netstumbler:

Comment

Working...
                              X