Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion Poll. Is touchscreen that much better than non-touchscreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Poll. Is touchscreen that much better than non-touchscreen?

I originally was deadset on a touchscreen because I am doing GPS, Internet and everything else bit, but recently I've been thinking that since I will have a mouse, it shouldn't be that much of a pain at all to just use it to click the GPS maps and do what I need to do. And I'll definitely use the mouse anyway when I use the internet.

For those that use GPS with a touch screen and those that use GPS without a TS, what are your impressions? Right now I see the pros and cons as the following:

TS Pros
    1. Coolfactor
    2. Better car resale value??
    3. Software like mediaengine or mediacar performs better on a touchscreen?

TS Cons
    1. Costs more
    2. Interferes with image quality?
    3. Mouse input just as good or better input even with GPS?

How about the ability to not crash into oncoming traffic.

Using a mouse to click something requires:
    1)finding the something you want to click on the screen
    2)finding the mouse pointer on the screen
    3)moving the mouse pointer to the something
    4)clicking

Using a touch screen to click something requires:
    1)finding the something you want to click
    2)touching it

you do the math
    2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackso
      Using a mouse to click something requires:
      1)finding the something you want to click on the screen
      2)finding the mouse pointer on the screen
      3)moving the mouse pointer to the something
      4)clicking
      Not to mention, you have to find the mouse first.

I'm placing the touch screen and computer in my car to minimize externalities. (For instance, I will use mp3s so no CDs are needed, no need to find the cd book, unzip, flip thru CDs, etc.) So for me, I don't want to add a mouse to the mix.

I'm a fan of the screen being both an input and output device. After all, in dash radio faces provide both input and output.

Comment

i'm a big fan of no touchscreen and a remote

on a well designed app, i don't even have to look where i want to click. I only have to look to see what playlist i want to select
        '98 Explorer Sport
        http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
        AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
        80% done

Comment

Cool. You've swung me back to the simplicity and coolness of the touch. Thanks.

Comment

I have a touchscreen but jinks has a point. There's something to be said for a usable remote, if you haven't considered it.

if you're never going to use it while driving (i hope to god, since you were talking about browsing the web), a mouse is probably fine, and cheaper.

I didn't notice any change in picture quallity after adding my touchscreen.
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

i couldn't imagin myself using a non touchscreen

Comment

i find using an x10 mouseremote illiminates the need for a keyboard and mouse, and it can be programmed to control just about anything on the pc, and in the home!

Comment

i have heard some touchscreens can put off a pretty good glare. Also, have you read about any of thel liliput problems? Correct me if im wrong, but there have been some problems with them. A shuttle with a pn31 remote that can control the mouse will probably suit me just fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X