Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jump Lilliput on/off switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jump Lilliput on/off switch

    I saw a thread where someone actually soldered a wire from one side to the other side of the on/off switch. But I was wondering if the whole board could be completely removed and try to jump the on/off from the ribbon wire or somewhere internally. Is it possible? this way, it somes on and off directly from ignition.

  • #2
    The switch still needs to be momentarily closed to turn it on or off, even if you power it from the ignition (unless you use the remote). I have a small reed relay on my ITPS switched (logic low) output, and I use the momentary switch closure to turn on/off both my Lilliput and my laptop. I think this is an excellent application for the ITPS when you own a Lilliput. If you already have a PSU, you can distribute the load by running the Lilliput and an external DVD drive from the ITPS 12V output and limit the load on your PSU to your CPU/HDD etc.
    Fabricator

    Comment


    • #3
      i haven't studied the schematic (nor seen one) for the lilliput ... but everything i know says logically you should be able to short the 2 lines that are fed to the power button and get the same results. you could do this on the ribbon or in the connector itself.

      supposedly if the power button is shorted then the lilliput is turned on once power is supplied ... however i hear this makes all the other buttons (like menu) unusable (even via remote)

      something to think about
      My JeepPC Install

      "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

      "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by shakes
        i haven't studied the schematic (nor seen one) for the lilliput ... but everything i know says logically you should be able to short the 2 lines that are fed to the power button and get the same results. you could do this on the ribbon or in the connector itself.

        supposedly if the power button is shorted then the lilliput is turned on once power is supplied ... however i hear this makes all the other buttons (like menu) unusable (even via remote)

        something to think about
        Well, what I really want is to get rid of the pcb with all the buttons on it. I don't need the osd and the volume so why have the buttons there? What I want to know is how I could jump the on/off switch either from the ribbon cable or the internal connector so I can throw those buttons out

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Altimat
          The switch still needs to be momentarily closed to turn it on or off, even if you power it from the ignition (unless you use the remote). I have a small reed relay on my ITPS switched (logic low) output, and I use the momentary switch closure to turn on/off both my Lilliput and my laptop. I think this is an excellent application for the ITPS when you own a Lilliput. If you already have a PSU, you can distribute the load by running the Lilliput and an external DVD drive from the ITPS 12V output and limit the load on your PSU to your CPU/HDD etc.
          I want to get rid of the board completely... I don't want any switches or buttons or relays or anything. As soon as the computer comes on, the Lilliput will turn on. I don't think you need a momentary switch because if you jump the power button (therefore always keeping the circuit closed) then it will automatically turn on whenever power is applied (I plan on using a serial relay controller to turn things on which will turn on a relay connected to the Lilliput cig adapter). The problem is the other buttons wont work which I really dont care for. So the way I see it is, if I don't need the other buttons, why have the board there at all?

          Comment


          • #6
            Well you could always tap into the Opus PSU power on signal to turn it on and off... providing you have one.. or what ever PSU you use.. if it has a Power on signal (hooks to mobo power switch pins) you should effectivly be able to tap onto that and run it to the Lilliput and it should turn it off and on just like it does the PC...

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm no BSEE, but both my laptop and my Screen needed the momentary switch closure for turn-on, so this is how I did it. I wish both of them worked in the normal "switched closed = on" and "switch open = off" manner. I wouldn't be messing with relays then either! I don't plan to use the other buttons, but I kept the board and mounted it to the back of the display. I did need the IR receiver and extended that from the board to the back side of my dash panel.
              Fabricator

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry to hijack the main thread, but I have been thinking along similar lines to Altimat. But I thought the ITPS supplied a momentary closed signal to the motherboard to start it, and to stop.

                Is there a need for an extra relay, or could the signal just be parrallelled to the monitor too?


                Originally posted by Altimat
                The switch still needs to be momentarily closed to turn it on or off, even if you power it from the ignition (unless you use the remote). I have a small reed relay on my ITPS switched (logic low) output, and I use the momentary switch closure to turn on/off both my Lilliput and my laptop. I think this is an excellent application for the ITPS when you own a Lilliput. If you already have a PSU, you can distribute the load by running the Lilliput and an external DVD drive from the ITPS 12V output and limit the load on your PSU to your CPU/HDD etc.
                2000 Vauxhall Vectra SXi
                EPIA M12000 / 256MB RAM
                PW-120 + ITPS
                Slot Loading CDRW/DVD
                30GB 2.5in HD
                Lilliput 7" VGA + Touchscreen
                GPS Nav
                Installation progress {+++++++} (Installed! :) )

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hacksaw
                  Sorry to hijack the main thread, but I have been thinking along similar lines to Altimat. But I thought the ITPS supplied a momentary closed signal to the motherboard to start it, and to stop.

                  Is there a need for an extra relay, or could the signal just be parrallelled to the monitor too?
                  Ricky327 explained this to me. The "signal" is not a switch closure; the PIC provides a logic low, or sources current to ground. So I used a small reed relay on 5V to isolate that output, and to make it an actual switch closure. This way no matter what happens to the ITPS, or my PSU wiring etc., my laptop and Lilliput can never get anything but a switch closure from that line.
                  Fabricator

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ah, I see. Well it's not so bad if it makes it all automated.

                    P.S. Great work on your install, those pics have given me the impetus to get my project moving.
                    2000 Vauxhall Vectra SXi
                    EPIA M12000 / 256MB RAM
                    PW-120 + ITPS
                    Slot Loading CDRW/DVD
                    30GB 2.5in HD
                    Lilliput 7" VGA + Touchscreen
                    GPS Nav
                    Installation progress {+++++++} (Installed! :) )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hacksaw
                      Ah, I see. Well it's not so bad if it makes it all automated.

                      P.S. Great work on your install, those pics have given me the impetus to get my project moving.
                      Those BMW pics with the DVD in the headliner did that for me! Post pics!
                      Fabricator

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        lol, once it's off the bench and I've gotten a car worth putting it in (about 3 months now) I'll be up there in the projects section.

                        Then I've got the joys of fibreglassing...
                        2000 Vauxhall Vectra SXi
                        EPIA M12000 / 256MB RAM
                        PW-120 + ITPS
                        Slot Loading CDRW/DVD
                        30GB 2.5in HD
                        Lilliput 7" VGA + Touchscreen
                        GPS Nav
                        Installation progress {+++++++} (Installed! :) )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          so is the remote not usable when you have the power button mashed in permanently? i know it disables the PCB (or turns everything into a power button) hope that can be cleared up for me.. thanks

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thinking of geeting rid of my Lillipt buttons too so can mount flush up behind my aluminum panel. But surley you need the OSD buttons too fiddle with stuff, my screen seems to like being auto tuned every so often????
                            Also I was planning on leaving the power button as is with a permanent connection as the screen turns 'off' when pc does and on again when PC boots, I know it is officially 'on' (or standby i gues) with the green LED but actuall screen isnt and current draw is very low. (?)
                            (forgive my Newbieness if said dumb things)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Shaar
                              so is the remote not usable when you have the power button mashed in permanently? i know it disables the PCB (or turns everything into a power button) hope that can be cleared up for me.. thanks
                              that is my understanding ... i haven't tried it myself tho so best thing to do would be try and see. just hold in the power button ... plug it in ... then try to use the remote.

                              i'd try it on mine but i'm currently unable to.
                              My JeepPC Install

                              "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

                              "it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X