My opinion on Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My opinion on Lilliput

Why do I get the feeling that Lilliput is using defective screens from big manufacturers like Hitachi to piece these things together? From all the problems everyone is having with these screens, it sure seems that way to me.

Today, I received my Lilliput brand new from the manufacturer in the original factory box, still sealed. It has a permanent bright green pixel in the screen. Someone else on the boards said they had a permanent red pixel on the screen. It doesn't bother me that much cause you can't see it unless the screen goes all black. And other than that, the screen is great. But, I still get the feeling something is not right here.

Anyone else?

Yes, I agree. Cheaply built and all, but what are the alternatives? You get what you pay for, and I cant afford $4-600 right now. Unfortunately, the $300 i spent is on its way back to H/K right now. Piece of junk IMHO.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Tbh, the screen is perfectly ok... Sure some issues are there... But why are you so sure the other screens dont have those?

I love my lilliput, although the touchscreen has issues I think its because there's dirt between my LCD and touchscreen (something that happend when 'altering' my screen )... And I have a small boot-into-windows-sync problem... But it makes it more fun, wouldnt be 'fun' if it all worked in 1 go, imho :P

Comment

They're not defective screens. They're refurbished from those Taakgoochiwatsama-machines in Japan. I was the one with the red pixel. My new screen has no red pixel, but still has memory burn-in (the jurassic park logo).

But I compare the price to the price of the Xenarcs, and I don't really mind that much.

GingerPrince

Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
        CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

Comment

After having one for a whole week, here are my opinions in a little better detail:

Pro's:

It looks great when it works
          Price is definately competitive
          Din style cable, easy to extend

Con's:

It lasted a week...unmodded and opened. Now wont even turn on.
          Touchscreen lost sync every boot
          Monitor lost sync every boot (thin line syndrome)
          Jurassic park ghost is f'ing rediculous for a claimed "new" product
          Very picky on video settings or will loose sync or message out of range
          Wasnt a problem, but whats with the ultralight ac adaptor? just feels cheaply built

I understand that there are loads of good ones out there, but from all the problems I have had, and after reading the site here, I really would not have bought one if I had it to do over. I like the setup that Armen is building (vga conversion) so mine may be for sale when it gets back from its vacation.
          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I agrée 100% with you.
            I also own a Lilliput but I should have taken a Gain
            -each Lilliput has different bugs - what a shame -
            -I thought it would be ultrabright , or brighter than my old 5.6" but it istnt the case - I think my backlight is old
            -touchscreen - no problems - yeeesss
            -overrange problems while im under 60Hz - with 85Hz it works
            so that with that damn bug i can t use tv-out to connect the 5.6" tft
            - The grey DCDC egg is ****ty quality the round VGA connector also - i have to force on it to get a proper image.

my opinion - if you can get a GAin for some little more money take the gain.

Regards
            Felix
            =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
            ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
            ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
            ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

Comment

One thing w/ the dead pixels, let me give you my professional information on this. First of all some background, I work for a large computer company who sells alot of different products ranging from computers to Consumer electronic devices. We sell alot of LCD screens whether its w/ our computers or as a consumer electronic device. The dead pixels suck, but when we addressed this issue w/ our vendors there reply was basically this:

In order to get perfect screens w/ out dead pixels the only way to accomplish that would be to create each screen in a clean room environment. At the same time they would need to physically test each screen individually. If they did take these steps the cost of even a small (15") LCD screen would be in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

I would have to say those same standards would have to be met w/ the HK company who makes our Lilliputs.

I like my lilliput, I have had no problems whatsoever, with the exception of Jurrasic Park, but I rarely see it and when I do, its no big deal that issue has been overkill on this forum!!!
              New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

To say that in order to avoid dead pixels it would cost them thousands of dollars is total BS. No offense towards you, but towards the manufacturer that told you that. If that is the case, why can I buy a 15" LCD from Best Buy for under $300.00 and it doesn't have dead pixels? When have you bought a Sony LCD and found a dead pixel on it? Do you mean to tell me that in China/Taiwain where these things are manufactured, it would cost them that much to plug these things in and check them first? Their employees only make about $500.00 per year.

And in regards to the Jurrassic Park logo, that is just unacceptable for a new product to have a burnt logo into it. There are real quality problems with these Lilliputs. That can't be denied. Sure, it is nice to have a 7" touchscreen. But as others have stated, I would be much happier spending the extra $200.00 for one that didn't have a burnt in logo or a dead pixel in the middle of the screen.

Comment

The point of my post was to simply state that you would need a clean room or almost clean room environment to ensure that 100% of your LCD screens are 100% perfect. Yes the cost of an LCD screen would easily be in the thousands of dollars if companies who manufactured these devices did exactly that at the volume in which they are doing today. I agree w/ you getting an LCD w/ a dead pixel or 2 is unacceptable, but alot of companies have what are called Dot defect matrix's which are industry standards on what number of dead pixels are acceptable on a screen. I am talking specific to computer monitors 15" and larger. I do not know what the mfg of lilliput and xenarc feel is acceptable.

As for the Jurrassic park logo.... I don't have any problems w/ it, I don't know where it came from nor do I expect any answers. I can deal w/ it, but thats my preference. I paid less than $300 dollars for my lilliput w/ touchscreen. I can deal w/ a jurrassic park logo that comes up every now and again rather than spending another $200 dollars for the same thing w/ the exception of that burn in!!!

But thats my opinion I could be wrong!!!

Comment

R3l0ad
                    I see you have same system pieces, as me, how do you deal with screen resolution? how much do you have there? wide screen res, or standart?
                    '93 Opel Vectra A with Custom Dash with 7" lilliput
                    VoomPC/M1-ATX/M10K/256 RAM/20GB 2,5' HDD/Gemtek USB Radio/WinLite/RoadRunner
                    http://zvi.home.ge/pics/?dir=vextra

Comment

Most 15in monitor manufacturers lcd's with an actual res of 1024x768 (not scaled or anything) consider acceptable dot defect matrixs of about 2 complete dead pixels or about 4 subelements not within close proximity to one another.

In the UK there only ONE manufacturer who guarantees a zero-defect lcd panel. i.e all the others will tell you to buggar off if you've got one or two dead pixels

However to put that into context the lilliput has smaller pixel elements than a 15in 1024x768 LCD panel i.e harder to make lcd panel and hence I would not be surprised to find the odd dead pixel on them.

Its still depressing though when its your panel that got it.
                      My CarPC install piccies http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgi-bin...at=561&thumb=1

Comment

zvi R3l0ad
                        I see you have same system pieces, as me, how do you deal with screen resolution? how much do you have there? wide screen res, or standart?
                        I don't deal w/ screen resolution, it works great for me, I run 800x600 mostly, just because its easier to grab ahold of icons on the desktop if need be, but I have in the past ran 1024x768. I let windows control everything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by unsavory
                          And in regards to the Jurrassic Park logo, that is just unacceptable for a new product to have a burnt logo into it.
                          They aren't 'new products' ... these are refurbished screens (as already stated). That's why they're available for $350 instead of $500 like every other VGA monitor out there.

I think the JP logo is in there as a test image during the refurb process.

I agree the low quality is an annoyance ... my screen stopped working as well and has been sent back to armen ... but the cliche still fits ... "you get what you pay for".

If you don't want the annoyances that come with the refurbed lilliputs you need to save that extra $200 and get a xenarc. but I don't know of any other VGA LCD that is not a refurb that sells as cheap as the Lilliputs.

SpeedRacer ... you said your's doesn't power up anymore? but you said unmoded and opened? did you mean unopened? or was yours opened? details? (mine stopped powering up as well)
                          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by R3l0ad
                            I don't deal w/ screen resolution, it works great for me, I run 800x600 mostly, just because its easier to grab ahold of icons on the desktop if need be, but I have in the past ran 1024x768. I let windows control everything for me.
                            OK
                            do you watch movies? do you watch then fat faces?
                            '93 Opel Vectra A with Custom Dash with 7" lilliput
                            VoomPC/M1-ATX/M10K/256 RAM/20GB 2,5' HDD/Gemtek USB Radio/WinLite/RoadRunner
                            http://zvi.home.ge/pics/?dir=vextra

Comment

As for the stop powering up issues.... I had some power issues too... try just loosening the screws on the back of the screen and then tighten them again... I did that w/ mine and it works fine... for some reason it seams like the actual ac adapter plug is like a micron off or what not. I have been thinking of just hardwiring the power to my lilliput so I don't run into this issue. But I found that the screw closest to my ac adapter was the one causeing the problem... don't ask me how but it worked!!!

Let me know if that helps fella's

Comment

Working...
                              X