Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all you LCD gurus, please help me find the right screen!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all you LCD gurus, please help me find the right screen!

Ok guys, I'm looking to buy a screen for my in-car TV/DVD setup. Unlike the majority of you, I won't be doing the whole in-car computer deal, so I don't think I will necessarily need to go the XENARC/GAIN/LILLIPUT route like most of you. Right?

That being said, I need you guys to recommend the best 7" or 7.2" LCD/TFT screen for my application. Remember, I'm only using it for a DVD Player with MP3 capabilities and TV tuner, no CARPUTER. Also, the screen will be fitted towards the lower part of the dash, so I guess I'll need one that has decent viewing angle possibilities--i.e. one that won't have a washed out screen from a 30 degree top viewing angle.

For your reference, the exact dimensions for the dash opening I will be working with is [7.3125" wide x 5" tall] or [185.7375mm wide x 127mm tall].

IF POSSIBLE, I'd love to find a screen that has a black frame and squared edges, rather than the usual rounded. That way, I'd have less prep/custom work to do for the screen fitting. I know it's a long shot, but there might be some screen out there like it.

Thanks a lot guys!

PS- I've done A LOT of searching on this board, including reading through all 100+ pages of the LCD forum, so I've tried searching! Please help!
    1997 BMW 328i

what will be the source of these dvds and whatnot? do you have a headunit? what is it's output? RCA? SVideo?

You are correct you won't need a xenarc or lilliput ... and will probably be able to find a good screen for $200-$300 depending on what you need
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
      what will be the source of these dvds and whatnot? do you have a headunit? what is it's output? RCA? SVideo?

You are correct you won't need a xenarc or lilliput ... and will probably be able to find a good screen for $200-$300 depending on what you need
      I will have a DVD player installed in the glovebox, which will then be hooked up to an Alpine headunit's AUX input. The DVD player will have A/V outputs, just like the type you find on your TV at home (RCA I believe?).

If you could throw any websites my way where I could search for some screens, that'd be great. I've only found DSCustoms.com and MP3playerstore.com so far. There have got to be others out there!

Thanks for your response.
      1997 BMW 328i

Comment

What are your impressions on this screen? Is the display good enough?

http://digitalww.com/VGA_TM_700VGA.htm
        1997 BMW 328i

Comment

certainly good enough, but more than you need by a long shot.
          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
            certainly good enough, but more than you need by a long shot.
            Wow, really? Do you have any other suggestions?? I'd definitely like to save a few more dollars here and there if possible--without compromising the viewing quality of course.
            1997 BMW 328i

Comment

I've heard great things, countless times, about the TM-701L, but I believe this is a DIN slot retractable LCD. Armen (the Digitalww.com guy) would be the best one to speak to. I suspec that the TM-702S is of the same quality, but I don't have any real knowledge of the subject. You might search the forum for mentions of these LCDs.
              car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

if you aren't putting a PC in your car there's no reason to have a VGA monitor. VGA is what makes these screens so expensive. You can pay less and get a screen that's just as good if you don't need VGA
                My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                  if you aren't putting a PC in your car there's no reason to have a VGA monitor. VGA is what makes these screens so expensive. You can pay less and get a screen that's just as good if you don't need VGA
                  Ah, ok...thanks for clearing that up...I was under the impression that non-VGA screens would produce as crisp of a picture.

But with regards to the screen I posted, isn't $230 a pretty good price for a screen? Could I find a screen that would suit my needs just as well for much much less? If so, please show me one!!
                  1997 BMW 328i

Comment

I will be receiving that screen on monday. That screen is basically a xenarc. Same lcd and im pretty sure its the same board too. I ordered the usb touchkit and hoping to install it in that if its possible at all.

Comment

Originally posted by zijester
                      I will be receiving that screen on monday. That screen is basically a xenarc. Same lcd and im pretty sure its the same board too. I ordered the usb touchkit and hoping to install it in that if its possible at all.
                      zijester, please keep me up to date on your screen purchase. Basically, I just want to know if the screen brightness will suffice for daylight use.

Thanks!
                      1997 BMW 328i

Comment

Will do, should be up by next weekend at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by JuBu
                          I will have a DVD player installed in the glovebox, which will then be hooked up to an Alpine headunit's AUX input. The DVD player will have A/V outputs, just like the type you find on your TV at home (RCA I believe?).

If you could throw any websites my way where I could search for some screens, that'd be great. I've only found DSCustoms.com and MP3playerstore.com so far. There have got to be others out there!

Thanks for your response.
                          ebay for brand "SUPER" tft screens. You won't need a touchscreen ability so don't pay more by ordering one with touchscreen accidently. Super is less rounded too.
                          ibus error
                          GTA skin

Comment

Originally posted by redbullah
                            ebay for brand "SUPER" tft screens. You won't need a touchscreen ability so don't pay more by ordering one with touchscreen accidently. Super is less rounded too.
                            You need to read teh screen for post dates.
                            This one is over two years old.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Any other suggestions for a non VGA monitor with good viewing angle and daytime brightness?

I'm currently running XBMC on my xbox for all my media purposes, and got the Xenarc 700TSV in case I wanted to upgrade to a carputer in the future. After installing the Xenarc I was very disappointed in the viewing angle and daytime viewability. It was so much worse than a no-name non VGA I got from China over 4 years ago (http://seoulman.bol.ucla.edu/sony/vcd.htm).

I've been eyeing a Sony monitor (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-D3qXT1S...50&I=158XVMH65) but it's pricey and I don't see any reviews for it. I would also prefer a 7" widescreen...

Can anyone recommend a good non VGA lcd? Or refer me to a forum which might be more suitable for non VGA talk?

Comment

Working...
                              X