Lilliput install in and Impreza, Lilliput issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput install in and Impreza, Lilliput issues

For those who have installed a Lilliput monitor in the new model Impreza's I was wondering how you went about doing this? I saw one person here who had it done but didn't give much detail about it. My screen is the Lilliput 619gl-70np/c, complete with one dead green pixel and software that won't install.

I'm aware the buttons need to be relocated and the bottom of the screen needs to be cut off in order to fit with the HVAC controls.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to MP3car.com fellow Suby owner.

I have a STi and plan on using the in-dash VGA.

What model Impreza do you have? I'm assuming the console is the same as mine, or similiar. On www.imprezawrxsti.com this guy put a screen in. http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=4899

Take a look, I measured and the liliput doesn't clear it. You need to hack the plastic.
    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
    GPSing - Digital Speedo
    Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
    Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537

What model Impreza do you have? I'm assuming the console is the same as mine, or similiar. On www.imprezawrxsti.com this guy put a screen in. http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=4899

Take a look, I measured and the liliput doesn't clear it. You need to hack the plastic.

Thanks man, I have the STi like you, actually I think you were at one of the meets I went to. I read about that guy's install, pretty interesting, thats actually the post that made me want to do this.

Who makes the in dash vga? I'd rather not hack up this screen but if it turns out to be a lot more money to change then i'll have to.

Comment

Well, I just took apart my Lilliput yesterday. As LESLIE says, even the bare LCD panel without the housing won't fit the bezel. So what I'm doing right now is getting a big hunk o plastic, milling a groove for the inside of the bezel (so the plastic piece will sit flush with the bezel--that is the front of the plastic is equal to the front of the old changer). Then, I will mill out the back of the plastic piece to fit the LCD screen...basically, just like LESLIE's setup, except I plan on takin the lilliput out of the housing.

As for the buttons, I've decided to just relocate the IR sensor and rely solely on the remote. I've hot glued the board with the buttons to the back of the main board...I'll just do all controls from the remote.

btw, mattjk over at nasioc makes non-vga, non-touchscreen monitors for the wrx. it looks really frickin' nice...very professional. he ebays em for $350

Comment

On www.imprezawrxsti.com this guy put a screen in. http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=4899

That would be my STi. Now that I have my new digital camera, I will take my dash apart and take some pics of how I installed it. I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Comment

Zener, thanks for the response. I'm trying to follow what your saying. If its possilbe please take pictures of the process. It will definitely help me out.
            I'm suprised the the lcd without the housing won't fit. Do you mean the hvac box is still in the way or it just doesn't sit properly/flush against the trim?

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
              That would be my STi. Now that I have my new digital camera, I will take my dash apart and take some pics of how I installed it. I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm hoping what you did with the Xenarc is similar to what'll have to happen with the Lilliput.

Comment

SubPuter...PM me in a couple of days to remind me. I'll take the plastic to work tomorrow so I can machine it. If I simplify some of the steps, I'm sure TAPS plastic can replicate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenerDiode
                  SubPuter...PM me in a couple of days to remind me. I'll take the plastic to work tomorrow so I can machine it. If I simplify some of the steps, I'm sure TAPS plastic can replicate it.

No problem

Comment

Cool.

Good luck on the screen fabrication.

I didn't want to go that route, so I'm going to go with the www.digitalww.com screen.

Wow, 3 STi owners on this one thread!!!!!!

Cool ))))))))
                    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                    GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Suby? :/

Dont you mean, scooby

Comment

Oops, my bad!
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

OK, here are the pics of my Xenarc attached to my STi dash in the 2DIN opening. They're not great (I'm still learning how to use this camera right and I took them in place without taking the whole dash apart again). But I hope you get the idea.

What I did was take the screen apart, then I cut about half an inch from the bottom of the plastic front bezel - where the buttons are. This allows the lcd and bezel to fit centered in the 2DIN. I glued the bezel to the back of the opening in the dash and then reattached the lcd with the original fasteners. Here is a view from the top.

The white wires go to the buttons, which I removed from the PCB and relocated to the dash piece around the opening. Here is a closeup of the front with the power and menu buttons and led. I painted the bezel flat back to look nice with the dash opening.

Here is a view from the right side. The secret to making the whole thing fit is you have to tilt the controller board to clear the A/C control pod. The black ribbon cable (bottom center) between the lcd and controller is just long enough to allow for the tilt. Be careful with this cable - it is pretty fragile.

Here's the left side. I put a piece of foam between the controller and the lcd to keep it at the right angle. The pink plastic wrap and gray foam just cover everything up. I think eventually I will try to fashion some kind of box for covering the back, but this works for now.

Once you get past the wrongness of taking apart and cutting up a brand new $400 lcd, this install is not too difficult.

Comment

Not to bad...

I had a LCD that I put into my Prelude like that but it was 8.4" and allready apart.

I would like to make it more foward and flush, put bondo or fiberglass and sand and spray it.

Where do they sell the STi/WRX trim? I know they make carbon fiber and many people may have upgraded and have old bezels lying around.
                            GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the pic's. I will probably take mine apart later today and see what I'm going to need to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X