Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larger LCD Monitors that take DC power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Larger LCD Monitors that take DC power

    Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by SavageKabbage
    Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

    Thanks
    I can't direct to any specifics, but yes. I have a 15" TFT touchscreen that I use for my home MP3 Jukebox, and it runs on 12v with an external AC adapter. Most of the TFT's seem to run on 12v, so you should have luck in your search.

    -Mike

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a ViewSonic VG150 (15") and an Envision 9110 (19"). They both run off 12 volts DC. One thing to watch, however, is that some of models have shifted from an external power "brick" to an internal power supply.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by siren
        I have a ViewSonic VG150 (15") and an Envision 9110 (19"). They both run off 12 volts DC. One thing to watch, however, is that some of models have shifted from an external power "brick" to an internal power supply.
        Thanks! I'll take a look into that view sonic... 19" seems a little big..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SavageKabbage
          Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

          Thanks
          Try these guys, I believe most if not all of their lcd's have DC Power options:

          http://www.stealthcomputer.com/monitors_flat-PM.htm

          Comment


          • #6
            Pretty much every LCD panel out there takes a DC input. Some older ones I had used 18V adaptors, but most of them now seem to be setting on 12V -- just right for the car..

            siren is right though, Some of the companies are fitting the transformery into the base or something so that they take a standard power cable, but even on those monitors you can probably find the DC output and tie into that.
            MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
            See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
            Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
            Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
            BMW I-Bus Integration
            My homepage with many other fun projects!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gork
              Pretty much every LCD panel out there takes a DC input. Some older ones I had used 18V adaptors, but most of them now seem to be setting on 12V -- just right for the car..

              siren is right though, Some of the companies are fitting the transformery into the base or something so that they take a standard power cable, but even on those monitors you can probably find the DC output and tie into that.
              Be careful though. On checking one installed in a motorhome I found the TFT was 12v +-5%. Vehicle batteries go way outside that range and you do run the risk of damaging them.

              Comment

              Working...
              X