Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your dream screen?

Hi folks,

I am considering sourcing some screens from an overseas mfr. I was wondering what your dream screen would be?

Are we happy with the endless crop of 7" 16:9 screens, or do you long for a larger widescreen (like a 9"), or maybe an 8.4" 4:3 800X600 screen, or larger?

Or maybe even a 6.3" 4:3 with a native resolution of 1024x768.

do you want a stand-alone, overhead, or in-dash unit?

Let me kow what you think! I would like to provide something unique to the marketplace.

thanks,

Mike

8.4 inch,
    24 bit color,
    400-500 nit brightness with dimming backlight,
    vga input,
    800x600 resolution,
    controller card and cabling included,
    switchable input to allow for composite or component inputs,
    on screen display for adjustments,
    bare panel
    touchscrenn, usb interface

damn im greedy...

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

i just want the one from xenarc that has been promised to us for over a year:

in dash, 7" VGA touchscreen
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I would like vga screen which is over 8 inches, preferabley widescreen.
        With 400 nit brightness and ability to adjust and touchscreen. Would also like it to be a in-dash unit.
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
          8.4 inch,
          24 bit color,
          vga input,
          800x600 resolution,
          bare panel

damn im greedy...

~mike
          I like the way you are thinking, only I havent found any LCD controller cards that supply component video in. This one may be too good to be true. But I will include that in my search.

thanks for your response!

Comment

A touch screen LCD screen that covers the front Wind Shield in a 11520x7200 pixel resolution. With three front mounted cameras so I can see where I'm driving, and at stop lights a small window will pop up that says "Pause"

Comment

Originally posted by Almost a Ghost
              A touch screen LCD screen that covers the front Wind Shield in a 11520x7200 pixel resolution. With three front mounted cameras so I can see where I'm driving, and at stop lights a small window will pop up that says "Pause"
              wouldn't we all love that!

Comment

800*600 ACTUAL pixles
                350ish NIT (var. brightness)
                8"
                touchscreen
                car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Im happy with the current size of screens available.

What would be great is something that's actually put together with quality in mind, like normal computer parts are. Ive never had as many problems with any computer hardware as ive had with "3" lcd screens. Its like playing the lotto to get a good screen.
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                  mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
                    8.4 inch,
                    24 bit color,
                    vga input,
                    800x600 resolution,
                    bare panel

damn im greedy...

~mike
                    That would be sweet! don't forget usb touch....with supporting drivers for $300!
                    BossTone74

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                      Im happy with the current size of screens available.

What would be great is something that's actually put together with quality in mind, like normal computer parts are. Ive never had as many problems with any computer hardware as ive had with "3" lcd screens. Its like playing the lotto to get a good screen.
                      Sadly, the car A/V market has been flooded by many many companies from overseas, that slap together these screens with cheap labor, and is some cases, recycled screens. They can then wholesale a 7" 16x9 VGA w/ touch for under $200. Which is why you are seeing some great pricing now. If you just think back about 6 months or so, you couldn't get you hands on a vga screen for under $500, now we have VGA w/touch for under $300!

Quality will cost us, and will be hard to come by. You just don't have NEC, Samsung, Viewsonic, or anyone else in the computer market segment lining up to make screens for the 12 volt crowd.

The vast majority of these screens are made by small SE Asian companies that we here in the US have never heard of. Since they have no brand recognition here, they are forced to make a very inexpensive product and ODM it for others who are willing to sell them here.

Comment

Originally posted by bosstone74
                        That would be sweet! don't forget usb touch....with supporting drivers for $300!
                        yeah... i forgot about that, i will add it to my list...
                        ~Mike
                        Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                        PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                        2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by Almost a Ghost
                          Dont forget attached to a flying sleigh pulled by reindeer.

Comment

Flip down or just a standard thin mountable flat panel, 10.4 with resistive touch. Capable of up to 1024x768 resolution. Bright and glare free so you can see it in sunlight(the biggest problem with most touchscreeens).

Comment

Originally posted by Yamato
                              Sadly, the car A/V market has been flooded by many many companies from overseas, that slap together these screens with cheap labor, and is some cases, recycled screens. They can then wholesale a 7" 16x9 VGA w/ touch for under $200. Which is why you are seeing some great pricing now. If you just think back about 6 months or so, you couldn't get you hands on a vga screen for under $500, now we have VGA w/touch for under $300!

Quality will cost us, and will be hard to come by. You just don't have NEC, Samsung, Viewsonic, or anyone else in the computer market segment lining up to make screens for the 12 volt crowd.

The vast majority of these screens are made by small SE Asian companies that we here in the US have never heard of. Since they have no brand recognition here, they are forced to make a very inexpensive product and ODM it for others who are willing to sell them here.
                              I agree with what your saying, but six months ago the screens did cost more, but the quality wasnt any better than it is today. How many of these screens do they think there going to keep selling if they keep turning out crap *** products? People will pay for quality.
                              Show me a 7in screen with a decent backllight, VGA that dosent crap out when you change the socalled supported res, made with non refurbed parts, touchscreen, and good cables/wires that dont short out the whole monitor if you look at them the wrong way. And ill put my money on the table. Im hoping that GAIN fixes there crap wireing as this is the only thing thats wrong with there screens. Everyone else has serious quality issues.
                              01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                              01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                              mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X