Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire up an LCD controller

Hey guys,

How do I physically wire up an LCD controller to my PC. I am using an Epson S1D1A303 controller, but am not sure how it connects.

1). Can it connect to the Parallel port?

2). Do I need any other components?

3). Has anyone else got these working (I'm hoping to use it to run a Sony ACX705AKM LCD module)

Thanks in advance,

Toby.

Post a link to the datasheet to at least give us a chance.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Sorry, here is the link.

http://www.erd.epson.com/vdc/pdf/13A03/x36ac001.pdf

Comment

did you happen to look at the supported resolutions? 320x240? 160x160? dude this is a pocket PC interface you can't possible be running any screen larger than 5 inches

Comment

Originally posted by mkkbb
          Not much of a datasheet. No pin out, no pin description. No timing diagrams.

Looks like it hangs off your processor bus (low latency CPU interface). Easiest way to get it going would probably be on an ISA card.

Comment

Originally posted by Hcomplyr
            did you happen to look at the supported resolutions? 320x240? 160x160? dude this is a pocket PC interface you can't possible be running any screen larger than 5 inches
            Yeay this a chip only, disigned for use in handheld devices. I did not read the full specs, but these types of chips will often incorporate I/O controllers, touch controlers, USB hosts, etc. as well.

besides the resolution issues, unless you are a computer engineer, I'd give up on thi idea really quick. What you need is a vga controller CARD that has all of the electronics already hooked up, VGA in and Digital Flat out.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The screen is only about 3.2" and is fine for what I want to do with it. It only does 240x160.

Do you know where I can get these VGA cards you spoke about Yamoto, and are they expensive?

I copied the wrong link before, it should have been http://www.erd.epson.com/vdc/pdf/13A...s1d13a03tm.pdf. That shows the pin outs etc.

Comment

I copied the wrong link before, it should have been http://www.erd.epson.com/vdc/pdf/13A...s1d13a03tm.pdf. That shows the pin outs etc.
                Aaaah, much better. Generic interface #2 (section 6.2.2) is documented as ISA, much as I expected. It'll take some doing, but is completely possible.

A fair amount of software driver writing to be done also if you want to expose this as a standard screen mode, less if you just want to poke pixels to it as a secondary display.

Rob

Comment

Ta Rob, thanks for taking time to have a look at it.

What would I need to connect it up to an ISA port, I take it it wouldn't just be the chip on a homemade board that plugs into the ISA slot?

Comment

What would I need to connect it up to an ISA port, I take it it wouldn't just be the chip on a homemade board that plugs into the ISA slot?
                    If you have to ask that question I'm afraid I'll have to suggest that you give up now. If you are not experienced in computer systems engineering (hardware side), chances are you won't be able to debug it when it goes wrong.

There will be a certain amount of glue logic involved betwen the chip and the ISA bus. I'm certainly not going to sit down and design it for you - I don't have time and I'm not going to attempt to debug it remotely when it doesn't work...!

Comment

I suspected that would be the answer. No worries, looks like i'll have to save up for a 7" TFT screen then.

Cheers Rob.

Comment

Working...
                      X