Is my Sony PSOne LCD dead on arrival?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Sony PSOne LCD dead on arrival?

After I read on these boards a few weeks ago about the $32 PSOne LCDs, I had to go out and get one for myself. After a few calls, I found one at a Target about 20 minutes away and went and picked it up. The box looked opened but for $32 I figured I could return it if something was wrong. Well, I got home, hooked up the AV in, hooked up the power, and nothing. The manual says all you need is power and the signal from the AV in and the unit will turn itself on. Anyway, I called Sony's 1-800 number and talked to someone about the problem, and they claim that you can't use the AV in unless it is hooked up to a Playstation. I don't have a Playstation to test with so I'm not sure if this is can really be true. From what I read all over these boards, people seem to get these things home and have no problem hooking them up, with or without a Playstation. So, is my LCD DOA or do I really need the console to get this thing working?

Sounds like your in bad shape...

If the A/V cable you are using is the proper type, tip with three bands on the shaft, you should be able to plug it in along with power and get signal with no PS attached. (Of course you should be outputting something through the video connection to see. There is no logo screen, etc.)

Originally posted by nickis
    After I read on these boards a few weeks ago about the $32 PSOne LCDs, I had to go out and get one for myself. After a few calls, I found one at a Target about 20 minutes away and went and picked it up. The box looked opened but for $32 I figured I could return it if something was wrong. Well, I got home, hooked up the AV in, hooked up the power, and nothing. The manual says all you need is power and the signal from the AV in and the unit will turn itself on. Anyway, I called Sony's 1-800 number and talked to someone about the problem, and they claim that you can't use the AV in unless it is hooked up to a Playstation. I don't have a Playstation to test with so I'm not sure if this is can really be true. From what I read all over these boards, people seem to get these things home and have no problem hooking them up, with or without a Playstation. So, is my LCD DOA or do I really need the console to get this thing working?

Comment

Originally posted by MTWallet
      If the A/V cable you are using is the proper type, tip with three bands on the shaft, you should be able to plug it in along with power and get signal with no PS attached. (Of course you should be outputting something through the video connection to see. There is no logo screen, etc.)

Sounds like it should be working then. I have the cable you describe, from my camcorder, and I hooked it up the back of my DVD player while it was playing a video, so it definately should have had an image. Just to be sure I even plugged it into my camcorder, and I got the video feed on there just fine. I even considered that the order of the bands on the shaft was different, so I tried plugging all three component plugs into the video feed from the DVD player. Nothing.

I want to bring this one back but all three of my local Targets are out of them. Ironically, I work at KB Toys and we have two of them in stock, but my manager told me that she couldnt let me exchange for one because of the serial numbers. If no legitimate solution presents itself, I'm buying one from another store, swapping serial numbers with the broken one, and returning it.

Comment

Working...
      X