What's the difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference?

What's the differece between LCD display and TFT display. I found a 7.2 LCD for $80 and then I saw a 5.6 TFT for $97.

TFT is a Type of LCD. There is TFT and STN LCD screens. STN's tend to be no good at all, TFT is better.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

The cost difference could be for any number of reasons. There could be different inputs, and they could be different resolutions.
      Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
      Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
      '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

Well both have the same inputs. Just wondering if the quality of the picture differ. And is it worth the extra for a TFT display?

Comment

always worth the extra for a TFT. It's worth mentioning that just because an ad doesn't say TFT doesn't mean it's not TFT.
          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Well... what do I look for in a LCD? I see some people on this forum has complained about there monitor going out, and most are higher end monitors. So does it matter how much I send? I was thinking of the 7.2" LCD for $80.00

Comment

first off, theres TFT and STN (someone already said that). STN is something to watch out for, but the for the most part i dont see it much anymore.

you can get that 7.2" LCD (and i prettymuch garuntee you that its a TFT as well). but there no free lunch. input on that monitor will be composite video only (the kind your VCR/TV uses). while this is great for watching movies on, when you get into a carpc application it most likely wont cut it. unless you make your text REALLY REALLY BIG, its going to be fuzzy, and hard to read. in addition, you will need a video card that has composite video out.

sadly enough, the only real option for a carpc that is READABLE is TFT/LCD monitor with VGA input. that will input directly from your computer, without conversion, and offers FOUR TIMES the resolution of standard composite monitor! unfortunately, it also costs around $300 for the monitor instead of $100.

long and short of it: if extreme fuzzyness works in your setup, have at it. if you need a clear picture however, your gonna have to save up a bit more and spring for the more expensive one. all the ones currently on ebay right now start at $300 and have built-in touchscreen. from time to time you can catch a model without the touchccreen for a tad less.

Good luck!
              2000 Jeep Cherokee
              -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
              -planning done, still need a few parts
              -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
              -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

Some of the 7" lcd ads on ebay I was looking at said for something like $40 less they would send just an lcd, no touchscreen, but that hardly seems worth it, for that little amount of money the touchscreen is a nice feature. I ended up going with a lilliput, I hope I have at least decent luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                X