RSX custom LCD Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSX custom LCD Install

It's not in the car yet, but it's in the factory cage with the install kit, ready to literally slide in and connect all up. Here are a few pics... What do you guys think?
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0001.JPG
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0002.JPG
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0003.JPG
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0004.JPG
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0006.JPG
    http://www.reardon-logsdon.com/albums/car/DSCF0005.JPG

Looks great! How much space is behind it maybe you could fit an EPIA motherboard back there
    How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by PHiLiSO
      Looks great! How much space is behind it maybe you could fit an EPIA motherboard back there
      I'm not even going to try, I have other plans for that space, my power supply, a USB hub and possibly the itps. I'm guessing though that perhaps all that stuff should go in the trunk as close to the itx as possible (maybe not the usb hub)?

Comment

Good looking job there.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Looks like a nice job, what car are you going to install it in? My cig plug is on the opposite side of yours, thats interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by BrUTaL
            Looks like a nice job, what car are you going to install it in? My cig plug is on the opposite side of yours, thats interesting...
            US, Acura RSX Type-S. The big round hole is for the emergency blinkers, I was thinking of relocating that to where the cigarette lighter is and seeing if one of those griffon powermate usb volume knobs would fit in there? Might look kind of cool, and perhaps even be useful.

Comment

Nice... its good to see more Acuras with carputers... just waiting to get an Opus and everything is getting installed in my 3.2TL

Comment

Thats awesome, I just finished mount that Lilliput in my RSX-S over christmas break...

Its a lot of fun, although now i want to fiberglass it it to make it look stock (or as close as possible)

Congrats on the projects..

ApoloV
                2002 DSM RSX-S
                Custom Car PC Re-design Pending Completion of fiberglassing dash and trunk
                Pics

Comment

Originally posted by ApoloV
                  Congrats on the projects..
                  Thanks, ya know I haven't even taken it out to the car to see how it looks. I thought the metalic in the lilliput would probably match the titanium dash stuff in the RSX? I take it they don't?

Comment

what is that over the back of the screen?

any notes on easy taking apart/putting back together?

TIA

PS install looks great
                    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

It matches ok..the lilliput is just s shade darker
                      but I just prefer to have a more integrated look than what i've got right now w/ my screen similar to yours..

and yea, was it hard takin the Liilput apart, i'm gonna have to venture that way this summer when i do the glassing.. Any hints?
                      2002 DSM RSX-S
                      Custom Car PC Re-design Pending Completion of fiberglassing dash and trunk
                      Pics

Comment

Just curious as to what case that is that the screen is sitting on. I like it's size, it's perfect for my planned project, not too small not too big. Thanks.
                        2002 Subaru WRX - Silver
                        -FP18G turbo
                        -Walbro fuel pump
                        -Modified OEM 840 CC Injectors
                        -TurboXS: UTEC, turboback, uppipe, intake
                        -Blitz FMIC
                        -STI cluster
                        -17"x7.5" SSR Competitions
                        -Tein Flex coilovers
                        -NOS 50 shot
                        -2004 rear conversion

Comment

Nice keyboard...forgot to ask about that. Is it wireless? Does the keys glow in the dark? what brand is it? Please give me more detail on your keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by jusatry
                            what is that over the back of the screen?

any notes on easy taking apart/putting back together?

TIA

PS install looks great
                            Basically, what you see on the back of the screen is a piece of metal I fashioned to attach the circuit board. Just a piece of metal with some holes drilled to fasten to my factory radio cage and some other holes to run some bolts/standoffs for the LCD circuitry. Basically the LCD part is attached to the plastic faceplate and the ciruit board is attached to the metal.

As far as taking the lilliput apart, remove the four screws on back, there are four clips in the plastic housing. 2 on top, 2 on bottom, just apply pressure to the top and use something like a credit card (not a screw driver, it'll chew your casing up) to pry it apart. Take your time, and be patient, basically you don't want to rip the wiring apart when it pops open, once you get the top the bottom will come loose much easier.

after you have the casing open you'll notice 4 small tabs holding the LCD, take a screw driver and loosen the screws, turn the tabs and the LCD will come loose.

As far as the ribbon cables go, for those that haven't encountered connections like these, don't just pull them out. You'll notice on the connector a little colar this needs to be popped up, (only on the housing button panel) once you slide the colar up the cable will be very easy to pull out.

The ribbon cable on the back of the LCD has a different connector, basically it has a little plastic piece that pivots up to release the ribbon cable use a small flathead screwdriver to gentle pry this up.

Important: Both kinds of ribbon cable connectors are delicate and easy to break so know how they release before trying anything. And NEVER try to force them.

basically now your LCD is free... to get the circuit board out youll see the four small screws like you removed from the back of the case... remove those NOT the silver screws (those hold the USB control board on, if I remember correctly).

After you get the circuit board free you'll notice that the 9 pin connector can't be remove from the case... Now... Spyhunter actually cut his case to get it out... however I kind of wanted to keep that intact, don't be scared, make a wiring diagram or follow the link to the WRX site in SPYHUNTERs writeup for wiring, this is quite possibly the easiest soldering job I ever encountered. Note the wires, peel off the hot glue, de-solder pull the cable out of the housing, re-solder and hot glue them back in place (the hot glue probably isn't that important but I personally wanted to insure they'd stay in place)

now both the LCD and circuit board are free... go crazy.

BTW: Don't go crazy when you power the lilliput and nothing happens, just reseat the ribbon cables, in specific the wide one is a REAL pita to get reseated properlly... I personally had to reseat it at least 3 times to get it to come back up. It works great now though.

Comment

Working...
                            X