Lilliput flickers and dims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput flickers and dims

My Lilliput display flickers using the supplied power egg. If I use an inverter and the wall-wart, it stays steady.
    Now the display gets dim. Did it last week - took it inside and hooked to wall wart, did the auto-adjust and everything was good for a few days, then back to dim. Auto-adjust doesn't do anything when running from the egg.
    I'm assuming that I need a better power supply. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a PCI card that I can reset the resolution to 848X480. Anyone who's done this have a model that it works with?

I'm searches like crazy, but maybe I'm not good at it.

Thanks
    Selling my equipment

Is it just when your music/amps are on, or when they're off too?

My Xenarc screen has started doing this when the amps are on and there's a bass hit. It's wired directly to the battery at the moment. I am going to wire it up to my Opus power supply though, which should stop all flickering/dimming as the Opus is regulated

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Comp-guy
      My Lilliput display flickers using the supplied power egg. If I use an inverter and the wall-wart, it stays steady.
      Now the display gets dim. Did it last week - took it inside and hooked to wall wart, did the auto-adjust and everything was good for a few days, then back to dim. Auto-adjust doesn't do anything when running from the egg.
      I'm assuming that I need a better power supply. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a PCI card that I can reset the resolution to 848X480. Anyone who's done this have a model that it works with?

I'm searches like crazy, but maybe I'm not good at it.

Thanks
      Sounds like the output from the "power egg" is sagging. On mine, it outputs about 10.8V when the battery voltage is 12V and the display brightness is significantly reduced. When the engine is running, the display is clear and bright.

Why not try powering the Lilliput from the +12V from your CarPC PSU ?

Comment

Originally posted by shchua
        Sounds like the output from the "power egg" is sagging. On mine, it outputs about 10.8V when the battery voltage is 12V and the display brightness is significantly reduced. When the engine is running, the display is clear and bright.

I agree that the egg is the problem. I run a Dell laptop under the back seat as a PC and don't have 12 VDC available. I'm looking for a replacement PS. If anybody else has have to do this, I was wondering what PS they found. I'm checking for something now - if not - I start building.
        Selling my equipment

Comment

Originally posted by shchua
          Can you go direct from the PSU +12V to the Lilliput? Or should I go from +12V in the PSU to the power egg (voltage regulator), to the Lilliput?

Comment

Originally posted by crosseye
            Can you go direct from the PSU +12V to the Lilliput? Or should I go from +12V in the PSU to the power egg (voltage regulator), to the Lilliput?
            i had this exact same problem when using the egg and the engine reves dropped below idle speed... so i cut the egg off and wired the cable direct to a molex connector (yellow and black wires) and connected it to the opus, now it is perfect!!

(make sure you get the polartity of the lilliput cable right, or it'll probably blow up!!)

Comment

Originally posted by dominic
              i had this exact same problem when using the egg and the engine reves dropped below idle speed... so i cut the egg off and wired the cable direct to a molex connector (yellow and black wires) and connected it to the opus, now it is perfect!!

(make sure you get the polartity of the lilliput cable right, or it'll probably blow up!!)
              I'm actually using an inverter and a standard PSU power supply. The inverter supplies a clean signal even through an engine crank. I guess It's still best to eliminate the egg completely.

Comment

Originally posted by crosseye
                I'm actually using an inverter and a standard PSU power supply. The inverter supplies a clean signal even through an engine crank. I guess It's still best to eliminate the egg completely.
                The egg is there to regulate the voltage to 12.0V. However, it has a dropout voltage of about 1 to 1.5V - with 12V in, the output is about 10.5V to 11.0V and is not regulated, ie, it fluctuates along with the input voltage. Since your PSU is putting out regulated 12V, you don't need the egg. Wire the monitor directly to the 12V from your PSU.

Comment

Working...
                X