Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 DIN, 1.5 DIN, 2 DIN, what's a guy to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 DIN, 1.5 DIN, 2 DIN, what's a guy to do?

I have a 1999 Buick Regal, and as far as I can tell, it's 1.5 DIN. I did some measurements, and it looks like a Lilliput 7" touchscreen won't fit in that hole. First off, has anyone fit it into a 1.5 DIN hole? Second, is it possible that I have a 2 DIN hole and I just don't know how to use a tape measure?

Just measured: The hole is 3 7/8" tall, 7 1/8" wide.

Thanks!
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Originally posted by Chairboy
    I have a 1999 Buick Regal, and as far as I can tell, it's 1.5 DIN. I did some measurements, and it looks like a Lilliput 7" touchscreen won't fit in that hole. First off, has anyone fit it into a 1.5 DIN hole? Second, is it possible that I have a 2 DIN hole and I just don't know how to use a tape measure?

Thanks!
    Some cars actually do have a double din hole, but come plugged with a single din stereo and a half din ashtray or spacer. Behind that, you may find room for a double din. It may be best to visit a car stereo shop and ask if you can fit a double din in the hole, they are the ones that would know the best and/or can look it up.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I can't find any figures online about how high a DIN slot is.

In my car, the hole is 3 7/8" tall, 7 1/8" wide. Is that 1.5 DIN?

Comment

My Jeep has a 1.5 DIN slot and I can't fit a screen in. You would probably be best buying one of the 1 DIN InDash LCD mounts at Digital WW.

Comment

I don't think GM cars do double DIN.

My Buick's got a 1.5

Comment

That sounds like a double-din slot. I believe a din is 7" wide by 2" high.

Comment

Yes, 7"x2" is din
              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                Yes, 7"x2" is din
                Since the height on mine isn't quite 4", does that sound like it's 1.5 DIN with a little slop to deal with the rounded corners of the rectangle?

Also, do the Lilliputs fit in double DIN? Or 1.5 DIN? Otherwise, it looks like I have some cutting and fiberglassing ahead of me, and my wife is already in opposition to the project ("Finish the RV computer first" she sez, but then "I don't want to go on a vacation in the RV". Make up your mind, woman!)

Comment

If you go to the Tweeter site here http://www.tweeter.com/car/index.jsp there is a "Fit Guide". According to that a 99 Regal has a double-din that is 6 7/8" deep.

I don't know how accurate their info is but it seems a handy tool.

Chris.

Comment

regal is not double din. Had one as a rental and its din nd a half. A full lilliput screen and casinf will not fit. I have an alero which is similar to the regal an dI had to relocate the the HVAC controls to get it to fit
                    2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
                    Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
                    MYMODS:
                    Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

I think i have a double din in my 99 mercury cougar. I was not able to fit even just the lilliput LCD. I had to Cut out room and fit the front bezel of the lilliput and epoxy in place and bondo and sand and paint match (more than a 1 weekend project). I have the screen installed and the color matched but i am unhappy with the texture (i did to many coats) so when it really starts to bug me i am going to take it out and clean off all of the paint and repaint it.

For paint color matching i used hobby paints (and some last minute fingernail polish to get the right reflection) I got the color pretty damn close (it is a really hard color / texture to match) I think the 3rd time around i will get it right.
                      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I'm almost postive all GM w-body's are 1.5 din, my 01 pontiac is.
                        2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan (Sold)
                        2007 Scion tC
                        WhereIsMyGPS.net Online Tracker
                        http://www.cardomain.com/id/leddy

Comment

my chevy blazers10 95 has a double dim...
                          98.8 complete
                          95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

I'd like to see a picture of your so called double din blazer. Otherwise GM and Chrysler cars are 99% 1.5Din. (Chrysler does not include DSM)
                            http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

'99 Regal knowledge

Long-time reader, first-time poster (poser? )

As a long time owner of a '99 Buick Regal LS I can tell you Chairboy that you have a 1.5 din opening there. (My original plan was to install a system in the Regal; sold it and bought a Tacoma.)

It would be difficult to use the existing dash opening to shove a lilliput screen in there flush. You best bet is to follow King_Aero's comment (check out DigitalWW) or fabricate some sort of mount of your own. There's a useless ashtray compartment in front of the shifter. You could always find a way to take advantage of it.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X