Xenarc 700TS / hardwire power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc 700TS / hardwire power

Okay, I've searched - perhaps my searches were to specific. If anyone can recall a thread that addresses what I am about to ask, please throw a link at me. If not, any help would be very well received

I want to hardwire my Xenarc 700TS. I know it accepts 12V input, and I though one way to do this might be to just cut off the lighter plug (from supplied adapter) and simply solder the two wires to power and ground. I just wanted to ask before removing lighter plug. If this isn't best, what else might I try?

Oops, one last thing...on DC power plugs (like the one that plugs into the back of my monitor), is it obvious which wire is positive? Maybe an answer for trusty multimeter...

Thanks,
    Adam (clearly not a hardware guy)

if you use the cig lighter adapter cord, then yeah the positive is insulated and the ground/neg is wound around it. Thats basically what I did too - allowing you to keep the plug on the end that goes to the screen.
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
      if you use the cig lighter adapter cord, then yeah the positive is insulated and the ground/neg is wound around it. Thats basically what I did too - allowing you to keep the plug on the end that goes to the screen.
      Thanks so much...exactly what I need to know.

Comment

wat if u connect it to the PC power supply... will it work (how to supply 12V from the PSU)... how to connect it??

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
        CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
        Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
          wat if u connect it to the PC power supply... will it work (how to supply 12V from the PSU)... how to connect it??
          Last time I checked, the two black wires in the molex are ground and the yellow wire is +12. Then you'd have to cut up your cig lighter adapter and soder it to those two places.
          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
          GammaControl v2.4
          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

12 volts is red, yellow is 5

What I did for my lilliput was I had some of these wire tap connectors and I just spliced a new wire to a 12 volt (red) line next to a free molex connector, then did the same thing to the black ground wire beside it.
            '99 Accord LX
            -------------
            Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Originally posted by Maukio
              I guess that explains why my neon makes a whining noise :|

[Edit]: Maukio: Smoke less weed.
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

What I did for my lilliput was I had some of these wire tap connectors and I just spliced a new wire to a 12 volt (red) line next to a free molex connector, then did the same thing to the black ground wire beside it.
                On my atx power supply, the red lines are 5 volts and the yellow lines are 12 volt. Always check with a voltmeter before you hook anything up.

Comment

Wow, that's weird. My lilli has been running just fine off the red line (which is 12 volts for sure on my PSU b/c I used a voltometer to check). I know on the ATX connector the 12 volt line is yellow, it says on the side of my PSU on a sticker, but not for the molex. I don't see how my lilli would be running fine for over a couple months now 7 less volts than required.
                  '99 Accord LX
                  -------------
                  Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

so is it safe and does it work fine through the PSU??? wat is its power consumption and will a 150W PSU be able to power it???

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                    Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Yeah, it'll be fine. I'd just be sure and check the lines with a voltmeter, I guess that's really the lesson to learn from this. Check first so you don't fry expensive crap.
                      '99 Accord LX
                      -------------
                      Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

thnx yall.. just wat i wanted to know

Final Touches

Comment

Exactly. First check before frying anything Another diagram:
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I found this one from a uh pretty reputable site....

'99 Accord LX
                            -------------
                            Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

I found this one from a uh pretty reputable site....

Only in Oklahoma
                              GammaControl v2.4
                              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                              X