No announcement yet.

LCD temperature range

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD temperature range

I was thinking getting a LCD screen like the Hitachi HD44780. The operating temparature range of the one I was looking at was -10 C to 50 C (I dont know how much would that be in Ferenheight). What would happen if I tried to run it under -10 C , before the car is heated up in the winter. Would it just not display properly or would that break something. Also, the non-operating minimum temperature is of -20 C. I beleive the temperature here goes down to -30 C sometimes. Would that be a problem?

Did anyone try their character LCD displays under the recomended operating temperature? Did it break in two, didn't work at/much or whatever...
    There must be people here that life where there's cold winter....

Impatient, aren't you?

I used a Crystalfontz HD44780 compatible standard LCD through all of last winter. The display's update slows down a bit when really cold, but it still works well outside the published temperature range.

Thanks for the info

when cold the screen will literally freeze and will fade out till it warms up. pretty cool actually

conflicting views on long term damage from that.
          Welcome, cdm.
          You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
          Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

I figured that the best thing to do yould be to buy the 4x20 blue LCD screen with a white led. It can operate at -20 and looks just too cool ... At 30 US, I guess its not bad.