Any monitors like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any monitors like this?

Anyone know of any roof-mounted, touchscreen, preferably between 7" and 10" monitors. I have been looking for one, but can't find any...

Well, I am currently just planning ideas... I am thinking of replacing the rear view with it, and programming custom software to allow the desktop to be the rear view via a camera... Gotta see if this would be legal, though.

How much would a monitor like that cost?

[Edit: Can these flip down?]

Comment

Originally posted by Who_Cares
      Well, I am currently just planning ideas... I am thinking of replacing the rear view with it, and programming custom software to allow the desktop to be the rear view via a camera... Gotta see if this would be legal, though.

How much would a monitor like that cost?

[Edit: Can these flip down?]
      No it would not be legal.
      Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thatís so lame omg ... Let me recommend WinXP oh wait when you need to see behind you and oh **** look you got a BOSD..... Basically points for the idea of it but just doesn't seem practical. A Mirror is the exact answer to your question.
        2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

If you know what you are doing, you probably wont get a BSOD. I've never gotten a BSOD in Windows XP, and i've been using it since it came out. In my car, i'd use winamp, and that's it, so, I dont think that's going to be a problem. Plus, here in Utah (i'm not sure about other places, yet), it's legal to do that, because you only need 2 mirrors at any time. So, even if it's not considered a rear-view mirror(even though it does the same thing), it would still be legal, and the camera would be better than a real mirror, because tall people in the back wouldn't be in the mirror's way

Now, why do you think this idea is so bad, exactly?

Comment

I like it

Comment

I plan to do the same thing.. But I plan to just build a small mp3 player that will dock at the top of the screen to play mp3's.. My reasons for it are I have a 10 flip down for the kids in the back and when it's down my rearfiew is useless..

As for it being legal.. I'm not sure, I'll let you know the 1st time a cop sees it..
              www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

Originally posted by mbkowns
                Thatís so lame omg ... Let me recommend WinXP oh wait when you need to see behind you and oh **** look you got a BOSD..... Basically points for the idea of it but just doesn't seem practical. A Mirror is the exact answer to your question.
                Just a quick note....As long as you have two outside mirrors on each side of your vehicle, the interior rearview is not required. At least not in this state. However, hanging the monitor may be legal, but running a television or dvd while moving wouldn't. A view out the rear of the vehicle via camera I am sure hasn't wound it's way through the courts yet....
                Kenwood KVT-911DVD
                Sony XVM-R75
                Morex 3688
                VIA EPIA M10000
                512mb DDR
                Windows XP Pro
                Linksys Wireless-G

Comment

I'm just going to use Winamp because it can go real small and doc on the top (plus it can be a somewhat transparent window, too) of the screen, and then the desktop image can be the rearview... If you autohide the startmenu, it'll be pretty nice, I think

Comment

milleda31: I'll do it, and if it's illegal... crap

Comment

Originally posted by milleda31
                      Just a quick note....As long as you have two outside mirrors on each side of your vehicle, the interior rearview is not required. At least not in this state. However, hanging the monitor may be legal, but running a television or dvd while moving wouldn't. A view out the rear of the vehicle via camera I am sure hasn't wound it's way through the courts yet....
                      Sorry...should read, "Two outside mirrors ONE on each side of your vehicle..."

P.S. I'm in the business and I doubt I'd ever write a ticket for what your planning. Just too many other things more important to concentrate on...
                      Kenwood KVT-911DVD
                      Sony XVM-R75
                      Morex 3688
                      VIA EPIA M10000
                      512mb DDR
                      Windows XP Pro
                      Linksys Wireless-G

Comment

Get a ATI TV Wonder VE and your have the ability to watch TV "WHEN YOUR NOT MOVING" and your be able to hook up a camera to the RCA jack to see the rear view. The other good thing about this is the ATI TV Wonder software allows you to take the active image (tuner or RCA) and put it as a full screen image OR as the desktop OR EVEN allow you to transpose it OVER EVERYTHING on the screen.
                        David Waybright
                        Certified CompTIA A+ & NET+ Technician

Comment

Its not about the mirror, its about obstruction of view.
                          Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by arkadiyp
                            Its not about the mirror, its about obstruction of view.
                            I don't know about you but my rearview is wider then my 7inch VGA and once it's mounted it will be about the same heigth.. Once it's done it will look like it's part of the overhead console..
                            www.DurangoSUV.com

Comment

You are going to drive with a LCD hanging down right in front of your eyes and no mirror? If thats the case here is what is going to happen. Whether it is legal or not in your state a cop will see something that glows (especially at night) and pull you over. Most likely you will get a ticket for obstructed view. And the next day you are going to be here starting a thread along the lines "I got a ticket for my LCD, WTF?!?"

But good luck with your idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X