Powering Lilliput from AC source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering Lilliput from AC source

I bought my Lilliput from a group buy, and it came with a foreign ac/dc converter. So I went to Radio Shack and bought this one but before I plugged my lilliput into it I checked it with my multimeter.

It is pushing 14.86 volts. Is this going to fry my Lilliput?
    www.i-hacked.com Hardware hacking articles

i have that same 12 V adaptor, and it puts out 14.xx volts for me too....i dunno about the lilli though.....hrmmmm
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

do you use it for your lilli?

Comment

Measuring the output of most DC "wall wart" style power supplies won't give you the true voltage. A 12V adaptor could easily measure 14-20V with no current load. If you pull 1.5A through it (its rated load) it would measure 12V. If you have some calibrated load resistors, you can make a proper measurement, but if not, just trust the labelling on the power adaptor. Some adaptors will have built-in voltage regulators that keep a constant voltage up to the rated current. These will normally measure closer to what they say, although if you have a device like the lilliput that will pull a pretty constant load, it's not a very necessary part of the PSU design.

Check to make sure that you have the right end set up for center (tip) positive, and that adaptor will work fine for your lilliput. Incedentally, the wall wart that the lilliput ships with is a non-regulated design (like your radio shack adaptor) and the car power adaptor has a regulator in it.
        MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
        See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
        Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
        Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
        BMW I-Bus Integration
        My homepage with many other fun projects!

Comment

Originally posted by gork
          Measuring the output of most DC "wall wart" style power supplies won't give you the true voltage. A 12V adaptor could easily measure 14-20V with no current load. If you pull 1.5A through it (its rated load) it would measure 12V. If you have some calibrated load resistors, you can make a proper measurement, but if not, just trust the labelling on the power adaptor. Some adaptors will have built-in voltage regulators that keep a constant voltage up to the rated current. These will normally measure closer to what they say, although if you have a device like the lilliput that will pull a pretty constant load, it's not a very necessary part of the PSU design.

Check to make sure that you have the right end set up for center (tip) positive, and that adaptor will work fine for your lilliput. Incedentally, the wall wart that the lilliput ships with is a non-regulated design (like your radio shack adaptor) and the car power adaptor has a regulator in it.

Excellent info.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I just didn't want to fry my lilli 30 secs after I took it out of its box.

Comment

The output from the Lilliput AC plug is 12.50V with 5% tollerance (base on my multimeter spec)
            Your best bet is buy one of those 2-3 prong converter and drill the other end to accept "circle" instead of flat.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
            X