Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my little - HOW TO: 7" Lilliput => TM-701L in-dash housing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my little - HOW TO: 7" Lilliput => TM-701L in-dash housing.

I recently purchased an in-dash housing from Armen (digitalww) and followed the instructions on his website on how to install it ( http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_Lillipu...ash_HowTo.html ). These instructions are great but I had problems with my housing rolling in and out and 'clicking' in and out of place with the chunky VGA/touch cable in the way, this How To shows how you can replace that chunky cable for a ribbon cable.

How To instructions found here:
    http://aocab.ausgamers.com/howto.html

Feedback pls?

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

I will definately ref. this when I get my screen in. Great job and thanks!!!
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

nice job fella :-) I also used a ribbon cable

http://www.cdrpro.co.uk/carputer/lilliput.htm
      Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

I did the samething basically trying to duplicate what CdrSkull has done, good stuff man

Make sure you use the thin ide cable not that regular ide/ata33 cable. The thinner one is that much small and it folds much more easily inside the case.
        Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
          nice job fella :-) I also used a ribbon cable

http://www.cdrpro.co.uk/carputer/lilliput.htm
          Very neat job there mate. Mine is such a dodgy soldering job compared to yours! haha. I had to pull mine (and de-solder) numerous times due to problems and changing from chunky cable to ribbon cable.

If you dont mind, id like to link to your website in my How To.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
          Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
          Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

So, does this make the display go in and out of the case more easily? Mine is a pain to open and close.

If so, are any of you in Houston by some odd chance? I'd pay you to do this mod for me. I already have the Lilliput in a DigitalWW in-dash kit, but it uses the thicker VGA cable. The only thing that would need to be done would be to change the ribon cable out.

Comment

Remember when you first got your empty in-dash housing? how easy it was to move the screen in and out of the housing? It makes it as easy as that once youve done this mod properly.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
              Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
              Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

yeah its easy to pull in and out, just wish there was someway to secure it inside the din slot now :-)

JayKaye... sure link away m8
                Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

So its $100 for a non-motorized housing? Kinda expensive isnt it?
                  ----------------------
                  VIA Epia II
                  256MB 266DDR Ram
                  90GB Wester Digital
                  Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
                  Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
                  ----------------------
                  Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

Yes but Armen does have a monopoly on it right now so it's what it is.

Comment

I dont think the price is too bad. Once a few more models come out by difference manufacturers then it should drop, but as a monopolised product, the price isnt over the top.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                      Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                      Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Just to clarify:
                        Has anyone using a standard IDE cable (80 conductor or 40 conductor) had any problems with signal noise?

I spent hours researching this very same thing from scratch. Every "expert" that I spoke with told me that the VGA cable would HAVE to be shielded - especially in an automotive environment!

So I'm shocked that this is working. Please, please, please tell me that it is!!!
                        So far:
                        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                          Just to clarify:
                          Has anyone using a standard IDE cable (80 conductor or 40 conductor) had any problems with signal noise?

I spent hours researching this very same thing from scratch. Every "expert" that I spoke with told me that the VGA cable would HAVE to be shielded - especially in an automotive environment!

So I'm shocked that this is working. Please, please, please tell me that it is!!!
                          I'm using a 14 wire unshielded ribbon cable carrying power, video 1/2, vga, and touch screen. It's about one and half feet long and I have not had any problems. I have not tested interference with the touchscreen controler, cause I'm waiting for a replacement.

Comment

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you !!!!

You guys have no idea how long I have been screwing around with this. I am so psyched! I know what's getting installed this weekend!!! Woo hoo!
                            So far:
                            M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

I am using 10 strands out of a 80 IDE cable and we all know how thin that is and I used about 1.5 feet length of cable. I just tested the screen in the car last night and no interferance. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X